• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Noob Here

Hey All

I've been following Quantnet for a couple months and this will be my first post. I've been really interested in pursuing a career in quantitative analysis. I've been working on my C++ and I've downloaded a couple of the books off the recommended reading lists and have thumbed through them trying to pick up on a few things.

I'm starting my bachelors in computational economics from UCSB and hopefully will be able to move on to a top 10 grad school. I've been trying to learn something new everyday related to programming/finance.

Seeing as most of you have already gone through where I hope to be in 5-10 years what recommendations/tips of advice can you guys give me so I can begin helping myself out now, for the future?

Hi,

Tip №1. Never ever start a presentation of you from weaknesses.

Tip №2. Never ever mention MFE, Quantitative Finance and HTML in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence.

You are welcome :)

Hi,

Tip №1. Never ever start a presentation of you from weaknesses.

Tip №2. Never ever mention MFE, Quantitative Finance and HTML in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence.

You are welcome :)
I don't think he did o_O

Seeing as most of you have already gone through where I hope to be in 5-10 years what recommendations/tips of advice can you guys give me so I can begin helping myself out now, for the future?
Welcome to Quantnet. Glad to see another lurker who posts ;)
You are way ahead of when I was at a similar point in my study so in when you are ready for your MFE journey, you should be well prepared.
  • Get good at at least one programming language/a scripting language/ and database query
  • Go to free talks, networking events
  • Join a professional society (IAFE, SQA, QWAFAFEW, etc)
  • Participate in an open-source project (quantlib, etc)
  • Talk to current and past students of different programs.
  • Attend open house of a few programs you are interested in.

Back