• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative 790... but Verbal 300!! HELP HELP

I have a problem, I just took GRE and i had a high score in quantitative part (790) but in verbal i had 300. Probably in the AWA could have between 4,0-4,5 I would know your opinion about the score. What revelant is verbal seccion when you apply for master financial engineering?. My TOEFL are doing the next month. Please I would appreciate any help, I am latinamerican guy.

I totally agree with iniesta..
790 on Q is not enough in this field..even 800 cant guerantee your math skills as it is very basic problems regarding FE.

Also you might want to get higher than 300 on verbal. Even though the verbal score dose not matter that much, higher you get on verbal, better chance you will get.

IMO, 500 on verbal would be considered same as over 700.
Try to get 800 on Q or take GRE Math subject to show your math skills.

Though quant skills are significantly more important in this field, many FE programs also like to see decent verbal skills too, since finance is also about communicating ideas to people.

But, if you got a regular score in AWA (4-5) and a TOEFL about 100... that is not enough?

If you look through the Tracker, people with Q<800 and 300<V<400 got into top programs.
The GRE is only one small part of your application. If you think you have other strong points, apply and see what happens.

I don't care what program you get into, but as a headhunter you have failed any plausible test for me getting you a job, so why are you wasting so much money and a year of your life.

You don't speak English, I can cope with that, I'm lucky enough to live in England so I get it for free, but you haven't bothered to learn it which worries me a bit.
You have not troubled yourself to pay attention to the spelling checker that comes with nearly all browsers these days, which worries me a lot more.

The cold, hard truth...

Still, I don't believe in discouraging people -- just go for it.

Well it's either he realize it now or later when he looks for a job in the US. Better know it now than later

Memorize as much vocabulary as you can before you take it again. It can boost your score by >100.

The bad news for you is that I know international mfe students who have a 650+ verbal score. That is going to give you a definite disadvantage compared to those applicants. On the other hand, I do know someone in a different program who got in the 300s...

Memorize as much vocabulary as you can before you take it again. It can boost your score by >100.

The bad news for you is that I know international mfe students who have a 650+ verbal score. That is going to give you a definite disadvantage compared to those applicants. On the other hand, I do know someone in a different program who got in the 300s...

wait... that would mean... no, can't be! someone at NYU or Columbia?!

I'm being harsh here, but it's my job to tell the truth about careers, not sell you on the idea of a quant career.

I don't care about your verbal GRE, to me that's just a symptom of the dysfunctional US education system, and if you find a way of gaming the system good for you. I do care that you might be choosing a career that won't get you where you want to be.

The work of a quant is mostly beating computers until the damned things do what you want.
On top of that is some maths, and some finance, you will spend much more time with your PC than your girlfriend.

So it's easy to believe that communication skills aren't important.
Easy but wrong.

First, you have to convince some HH like me that you're a viable candidate for a the job I'm trying to fill.
If I can't understand you, then I will assume that the interviewer at the bank won't understand you either.
This is a competitive game, played by smart people from every country on the planet, any weakness will hurt you.

As above I have the luxury of being a native born subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of England, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and Scotland, Defender of the Faith, and Lord of Man.
That means I am right at the centre of the 1,000 dialects of English that populate the world, making it easier for me to understand you than almost anyone else,my job involves talking to people from all nations and some don't even come from places that are recognised countries, so if I don't get what you are saying, no one will.

That's important, since there's a good chance that the person interviewing you may be Russian, French or Italian, and if you add your poor English to theirs, communication may be impossible. Yes it might be their fault, but it is your problem.

Even when you get a job, progress is made by people respecting your contribution, and if you aren't understood, and can't easily understand what people are saying to you, then that can end badly.

Just to emphasise how this crap is critical to your life, any number of hiring managers tell me that they throw away resumes from people who have spelling mistakes in them.

You're lucky that you come from a place where the language is not so very far from English, Chinese people have it harder, and since many of them can do English better than you, I have no sympathy for your position at all.

You need to read books and practice English. I recommend Tom Clancy and JK Rowling for starters, and you might want to invest in the Stephen Fry recordings of Harry Potter to put on your MP3 player all day to help clarify your speech.

If you want to improve your english, I have only one advice. Get a "significant other" that is a native english speaker and doesn't speak your language.

That was the best advice I got when I came to this country. I could barely hold a conversation in english when I got here. People who know me now (and there are a lot of them in this forum) will testify that I can't stop talking.

Back