• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

question regarding GPA

:sos:So far I am in a PhD. program of finance, but decide to graduate with a master degree and transfer to MFE program in NYC. In the PhD program, I haven taken many methodology courses which are full of quantitative training.

The problem I have is GPA, which is just 3.22. The average GPA in our PhD program is not high either.
Is it a big problem with my applicantion?
Thanks very much.

First of all, you can't transfer to an MFE program. You will have to apply just like everyone else even with a PhD. You can try to get credits for up to 2 classes but I pretty doubt it.
Depends on which MFE program you apply to, they can place different weight on the GPA. One thing for sure is that you can't do much about your GPA so just get over it and apply and let the dice rolls where it may.

Thanks Andy.
Sorry for the confusion. So far I am a PhD student.
Because i am not interested with the academic finance, I plan to graduate with a master degree of finance.
What I am worrying about is following in the previous two years, I took PdD courses, which are totally different from the courses in usual master program.
That's why my GPA is kinda lower.
What should I do about this?
Should I make some explanation to the recruiter?
Thanks.

There ain't a thing you can do about your GPA now.
There are things the admission committee focuses on and there are things you want them to focus on and they may not converge.
You can choose to spend time telling them the reason for each low grade or you can choose not to. At the end, I don't think it will make a difference. If you are not qualified overall, you are not going to get in regardless how you try to explain it.

thank you very much
Andy.
Could you kindly give me some infomation ragarding the career placement of MFE in Baruch?
Thanks again.

I wouldn't try to make any excuses for your GPA. Perhaps you can say that it is ranked high in your program if that's true. If there are reasons why your GPA is low (single parent, full time worker, whatever) mention them in your cover letter as part of your background, but not as an excuse. Excuses won't get you anywhere. Grades mean different things between programs, between professors, and between countries.

Back