• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Questions about BS model

Hello everyone:
I need some hints about bs-model.
So basically stock price follow winer process or ito lemma where I could get the PDE.
The PDE+Boundary condition(payoff) give the solution to vanilla option values.

So what if I change the payoff to be max(S^2-E,0), I think all I need to do is just integrate a different payoff which means I can get a similar formula.

Could anyone give an formula for the call option with payoff max(S^2-E,0) when t=T, other thing unchanged so I can double check I did everything right.

If I have understood properly, you want to get a solution (exact if possible, or approximate) for a power payoff?

The PDE itself will be the same but the boundary conditions (S =0, S = Smax) will not necessarily be the same AFAIR.

Here is note (the last article in the link) on this from a while back. hth

http://www.datasimfinancial.com/articles.php

Use Ito's lemma. X = S^2 follows GBM, so the payoff of max(X-K,0) has the same closed form solution as a plain vanilla options with the appropriate substitutions for drift and vol.

Thx koupparis, at least I know It's called power options. I googled it and get the equation from http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/PricingPowerOptionsInTheBlackScholesModel/
I know I can solve it just using algebra[[[just changing the boundary conditions]]] and it's not that hard. But it takes some time to get the right equation as shown on the website.
So how do you solve the problem by substituting the new drift and vol?
drift becomes(2r-sigma^2) and vol becomes(2sigma)
Use Ito's lemma. X = S^2 follows GBM, so the payoff of max(X-K,0) has the same closed form solution as a plain vanilla options with the appropriate substitutions for drift and vol.

Take original BS solution and replace mu and sigma with the new mu and sigma from the SDE for S^2.

Back