• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Questions about Masters program for Canadian Job Market

Hello,

I'm new this forum and have question - I searched the thread and it didn't seem to have been asked before - but I apologize if it has.

I am applying into the part time MSOR program at Columbia and MSFM program at U of Chicago, and the MSFE program at U of Mich - I am confident that I will get into at least one of the programs.

However I am questioning whether pursuing this would be a good choice for the Canadian Job market - as all of these are distant programs and my background is in physics ( but not Ivy League) - I don't feel I will be marketable in the American job market, and prefer to stay within Canada.

But now I am wondering whether I would be better off applying to a MSFE program at a Canadian University. I hope my post makes sense, and I appreciate all and any feedback.

TIA.

University of Toronto has basically a 100% placement rate within Toronto. There are few schools in Quebec that offer the program too.

It will be easier to get a job in Canada with a Canadian degree.

Are you canadian?

University of Toronto has basically a 100% placement rate within Toronto. There are few schools in Quebec that offer the program too.

It will be easier to get a job in Canada with a Canadian degree.

Are you canadian?

Thanks for the info!

I am Canadian and my undergraduate degree is from a Canadian University - I'm also completing Level 3 of my CFA charter this June. (I don't know if the CFA is useful in this field). The only thing is I live in Western Canada and none of the Canadian universities offer a remote program. But I'm tempted by the almost 100% placement.

Thanks for the info!

I am Canadian and my undergraduate degree is from a Canadian University - I'm also completing Level 3 of my CFA charter this June. (I don't know if the CFA is useful in this field). The only thing is I live in Western Canada and none of the Canadian universities offer a remote program. But I'm tempted by the almost 100% placement.

That's cool. I spent quite a while out west snowboarding in Whistler, Kelowna, Banff and surfing in Tofino, etc. I worked in Edmonton.

UBC offers a MSc. Finance, but that's about it. It's is not of quant nature. U Toronto, Waterloo and McMaster have MFE programs. There are programs in Quebec that have 100% placement rate too basically.

I'm Canadian. I am in NYC because a New York area MFE is my best route to working a New York quant job. US Degrees give you CPT and OPT abilities, and being at a school local to where you want to work enhances your chances further.

That being said, I can go back with that degree to Canada and work anywhere, often they will be held in higher regard to the Canadian programs. Rankings comfirm that anyway.

In your case you're not pursuing US employment, so why bother? Go to UofT, you;re going to the best MMF program in Canada, and for most Canadian firms, that's all there is to it. Comparitively, for the same job there would be rarely any applicants from a US school, you'll be up against other canadian degrees in related fields.

If you were to choose a US School, given your employment goals of working in Canada, would mean that you perceive a greater value added from the US Program exceeds the additional significant tuition cost as an international student and additional living costs.

Hey, does any one have actual links to statistics about MFE positions in Canada? and the placement rates of the universities there? Thanks.

Back