• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

R buckling under stress

atreides

Graduate Student
I found a .csv dataset that is fairly clean, and had some trouble loading it into R. The dataset has about half a million observations and 10 variables.

Initially it took about 5 minutes to get the data in R, after which I could run some stats on the data... On a second try I cleared my environment went back and changed a few options in R and it took about 40 seconds to get the data in.

Since R is widely used in finance/quant circles, I thought half a million lines / 60MB of data would be a cakewalk.

Maybe practitioners who use R professionally can comment here... I would assume you play around with tons of data.

one drawback of R at the moment is that it loads all the data into memory. It means you need to have a lot of memory at your disposal. There are solutions to deal with this issue.

What do you mean by a "cakewalk"? loading the data? manipulating the data? I'm sure after the data is loaded, everything will be fairly fast.

Back