• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

R Finance 2011: Chicago April 29th & 30th

This conference is held every year and it is very good. My friend Brian has been a speaker there couple of times. I have met a most of the speakers and they are excellent. They also have created some of the most common used R packages in finance, econometrics and time series.

Bring it to NYC!

This meeting is sponsored and organized by the Chicago R community. It would be great to start something in NYC. Brian and I have discussed this in the past. I will talk to him again. It might be a good thing to have some sort of R event like that here in NY.

If you want to organize something for the NYC R community, it can be done. I do not know the size of the R community in the city.
Talk to one of the local universities (Baruch, Columbia, NYU) and set up something with them to run on a weekend.

I know Baruch hosted WordCamp for the Wordpress developers last year. If we price reasonably, we can get many attendees from local MFE programs.

I was talking about this with a co-worker and we thought that if this was in NYC we would definitely go.

FYI, I'll actually be attending this conference. Can't wait for it.

By the way, Alain, what's the last name of your friend Brian?

As Andy mentioned, Brian Rowe is presenting a paper about functional languages and the use of R. He is also the author of the package tawny in R.

Hi Guys,
Would someone mind posting their opinion of this event after attending the conference? I would love to hear how useful it was as I use R quite a bit and this definitely looks amazing!

I'll post a summary from what I can actually gather of the conference! I'll be there both days, now that I actually live in Chicago ^_^

(Though I'm also there to meet lotsa people and see who's who in this industry :P)

Stupid AA delayed my flight last night. I'm gonna run probably 30 mins late for the workshop >.< and that's was pretty much why I wanted to go. fml

Day 1 passed. Surprisingly, not a lot of actual R syntax shown. A decent event, but only 4 weeks into my first job, a lot of it was over my head, and I started to fade in the afternoon.

Just got back from the event. Really took a lot of stamina. Didn't understand much of it, but heard of some new things, such as an optimization package for R, and met John Bollinger. He's a really nice guy, gave us a very nice history lesson about his time through the financial industry, and how he more or less codes his own signals/indicators and uses it with his trading work. I think it'll sink in some more as I actually use more of the material. Lots of eats/drinks, met a few people (couple of Russians too), and overall, my head's still a bit spinning from how hectic it all was.

Really enjoyable event, but I suppose that's because I like being around people.

I just started using R a bit at work and then came across the website for this conference. I think I'll be attending next year. Incidentally if anyone is really good at using R with hourly time series data I'd appreciate some pointers. I'm finding it to be rather unruly (perhaps this would be best as a new thread though).

Thanks Ilya for the post about the R conference. I will check out the materials they post up online about the conference and maybe post up a few questions as I can begin to process the info!

Back