• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

R Trade Simulation?

doug reich

Some guy
There seem to be a few projects out there, all under heavy development, which assist in trade simulation.

In particular, I'm looking for something where I can give it tickers, and the trades made, and when, and it will track my capital and PnL. Preferably it will also allocate capital so I can give it relatives shares traded (I tell it, 1 of X and 2 of Y and then it goes and figures out that with $1mm that is actually 132 X and 264 Y to be fully invested).

The most likely candidate was Quantmod (for reasons my classmates probably know), but they seem to have a very immature system for this. Any alternatives you know of?

there is a package in R called backtest I think. I don't know if it is really helpful for this.

It may be possible to manipulate, but the doc make backtest seem like a pretty unsophisticated tool. If there's anything I've learned in this project so far, don't ever compute from daily returns; always compute your cost basis and capital evolution curve in "real" dollars and back out percent returns from there. In its defense, their approach may work in an academic setting, however.

What are you backtesting? equities? futures? options? credit products?

Back