• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Real Analysis

DMD

I am thinking of teaching myself a course in Real Analysis before I start the M. Eng FE at Cornell. Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend a textbook? I was thinking of buying Calculus by Michael Spivak.

Elementary real analysis: Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin
Lebesgue measure theory on R: Real Analysis by Folland

There's a book by Apostol titled "Mathematical Analysis" that is covers more or less the same as Rudin's book but is supposedly more user-friendly. I think there's a section on elementary measure theory in there as well (?) but I'm not sure.

I am thinking of teaching myself a course in Real Analysis before I start the M. Eng FE at Cornell. Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend a textbook? I was thinking of buying Calculus by Michael Spivak.

Spivak and Pugh are excellent. This might be even better for you.

Tools of the Trade: Introduction to Advanced Mathematics

This is a good back and more emphasis is on you to do it alongside the author.

I personally dislike Rudin. Many people like it and him. I think Pugh covers the same material and even more advanced stuff.
Another series of books that may be appropriate for self study are the ones by Terence Tao - he is a field medallist at UCLA.

Generally all SUMS(springer undergraduate mathematics series) have good books with worked out solutions. Check it out as well. You probably don't need to prove that many things in an MFE. So ask yourself do you want the pain.

Back