• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Really need some advices on the career path

Hi guys, thanks for reading in advance. I am currently a master of financial computing in UCL, London.

My master is majored in JAVA programming and algorithms, which will be just as good (or as bad) for me to get a IT job in a financial company or a Investment Bank, given I have no relevant experience before in any financial role. I have got sales experience in top retailer in UK, if this could be counted as a proper sales background.

I love mathematics, numbers and analysis, which especially when I can apply them into real world events and into financial markets. I love the beauty of using technical and fundamental analysis to help the company and clients to be profitable, which for me will be the most obvious expression of self-achievement.

To get there, I could either be a trader or a quant. However, I am a beginner in programming with basic mathematics; I am a beginner in finance as well (my master was majored in marketing), no previous trading experience (I am about to start to spread betting next week). Therefore, to be honest, to be a quant is definitely harder for me than to be a trader in the first place.

I chose the path of trader, which is still a rather hard career path to get onto. I got a plan though. I will be focusing on my master of learning programming in JAVA and algorithms and extend myself to C++ as well; I think I'd better to get a certificate in C++ or something to prove my ability of using C++ to programme. I will get distinction for my master degree to stand out from the crowd. meanwhile, I will try to get a decent internship in IB IT to gain insight into the world. Basically, I am trying to be distinct in my academic background and gain some relevant work experience therefore I will have a better chance to get a job in IB IT.

After I get a job in IB IT, I will sit the CFA examinations to get proper financial background (is it right?). meanwhile, I will continue trading as normal in order to learn to be consistently profitable. Till here, will I be able to secure a job in sales/trading department in financial companies or IBs, consider I am going to move from IT dept to sales/trading dept?

I am bothered to write a even longer thread since i really need some honest opinions on my career orientation and how to get there. I have read another thread talking about the best way to be a trader. Since I have different personal circumstances and background to the person who posted his/her situation, I didn't get very much help.

So please, guys, genuine thanks for you to spend such a long time to finish this long thread and if any chance you could give me some feedbacks on my situation, your genuine helps will be very much appreciated. My deepest gratitude for you all.

Did I just write to long to get any feedback?

Please, guys, it can't be more important. I am here for all your critiques, opinions and feedbacks.

Genuine Thanks, guys.

There are a few assumptions in there. You say you have no experience trading but you will start spread betting in a week. Further down your essay you say "meanwhile, I will continue trading as normal in order to learn to be consistently profitable". Learning to be 'consistently profitable' at trading is really easier said than done. Please be careful before you lose all your money.

Secondly, there are different types of traders, figure out which you want. That being said, keep in mind that this role is what almost everyone wants to be nowadays. Few make it there.

You may not need to get CFA. It is a nice certification to have and is well respected but is more targeted towards non-quant investment analysts (that may eventually move up to portfolio management).

You have the right ideas about distinguishing yourself academically and getting good internships. I think your plan will point you in the right direction; as you continue your studies, your own reading, and various internships/jobs you will be able to narrow your interests and focus your career path.

There are a few assumptions in there. You say you have no experience trading but you will start spread betting in a week. Further down your essay you say "meanwhile, I will continue trading as normal in order to learn to be consistently profitable". Learning to be 'consistently profitable' at trading is really easier said than done. Please be careful before you lose all your money.

Secondly, there are different types of traders, figure out which you want. That being said, keep in mind that this role is what almost everyone wants to be nowadays. Few make it there.

Hi, anbu, thanks for your kind and honest opinions. i considered myself fully appreciated how tough it is going to be to get in trading. Yes, we have different types of traders; however we have different standards to categorise them as well; for examle, we have day trader, swing trader and trader focusing long term profits; we also have institutional trader, retail trader, and trader working for proprietory houses; last but not least, we have derivative traders trading options, futures, swaps and alike, stock traders trading underlying stocks, commodity traders trading commodities.

Ideally, i want to a stock traders for daily profit in a IB in the very first place since IB may ask to me hold different types of accounts in the long run. I know it's not easy. But I will have to try.

I am about to apply for a internship for next year since most IBs opens their next year's interships in this year; I have to say I am not very confident in applying for the internship in sales/trading dept, would you mind giving me some suggestions?

Genuines thanks in advance!

Back