• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Recommendations for Undergrad

I'm currently a high school senior looking to get some idea of what to study in college. My goal is financial engineering and I'm probably going to go to Northwestern for the MMSS program, which is a quantitative program for social science. (mmss.northwestern.edu).

It's a joint major so I'm probably gonna study Econ with it, and try to double major with Computer Science. Would this be good enough for a quant career, or are there any changes or classes I should put more emphasis on? Would I be able to get a job right after undergrad in the field or is graduate school for MFE necessary?

I realize that it's pretty early to be thinking about these things but I like to think ahead :P If anyone knows about the MMSS program or will take the time to go to that link and check it out to help me out, that'd be great!

I think doing the MMSS program with a double major in CS would give you many future job opportunities. For financial engineering specifically, the MMSS seems light in the math department but I like the econ components. Whatever route you decide on, focus on pushing yourself, getting good grades and getting top internships.

Focus on studying what interests and challenges you. If you don't like studying something then your probably won't like doing it either.

Would it work if I just took some extra math classes as electives? What types of classes are best to take? I don't really like theoretical math which is why I don't want to major in math instead.

Would it work if I just took some extra math classes as electives? What types of classes are best to take? I don't really like theoretical math which is why I don't want to major in math instead.

You can't possibly know whether or not you like theoretical math if you are still in high school.

Having a good understanding of "theoretical math" is always important.

Back