• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Resume Help

It's January now, and it's time for me to apply for internship. I hope it's not too late to start now.

I need some helps on my resume. I have no prior work experience in any finance field. I'm currently working in a restaurant as a part-time server and have another job in the school library as an assistant. Working aorund 30-40 hours while being a full time student as I have to pay the schools by myself.

I have asked some of the seniors about my problem. They said there's no necessary to put my non-relevant work experience (especially a restaurant job) if I apply a job in finance area. They said it won't help me get an interview as it's just a restaurant job.

If what they said were right, then I would have nothing to put in the working experience section of my resume.

What do you guys think about a restaurant job experience in a resume seeking a finance position?

You work with people, you serve and communicate with people.
I think it's a good skill to have.
I don't think you should put only relevant work experience.

I disagree... the restaurant job seems a tad bit too unprofessional. The library assistant thing is OK though.

I would definitely put it on your resume. You are applying for a intern position, they are not expecting you to have professional work experience. I was in a very similar situation as you. I was applying for a Finance internship and I put down that I worked at a restaurant. They want to see they you can work with people, and being a server does show that. Now when you graduate and apply for a full time position, maybe you dont want to put it. But sense this is a intern position I would put it.

Since it is for an internship, put it on. I would.

Put an emphasis on class projects you have done. The focus should not be the restaurant job.

If you had more relevant work experience then I think there would be an argument for not putting the restaurant experience. Putting it on your resume shows that you are a hard worker.

I think order on your resume should be first academic stuff where you can focus on grades, classes taken and projects. Second work experience where you can mention things like client interaction, etc.

I'm applying for an internship.

The only relevant work experience I can think of is the trading experience.
I have a real money account with an online forex broker. I started trading foreign currency a year ago by myself. That's when I started to read the world financial news and analyze the chart.
I'm not a day trader though.
Can I put this in my resume as one of my working experience?

BTW,
Thanks for your comments!!

I'm applying for an internship.

The only relevant work experience I can think of is the trading experience.
I have a real money account with an online forex broker. I started trading foreign currency a year ago by myself. That's when I started to read the world financial news and analyze the chart.
I'm not a day trader though.
Can I put this in my resume as one of my working experience?

BTW,
Thanks for your comments!!

Yes. Independant Trader.

How are your returns and how are you generating them. Technicals, etc. That is key.

By all means put non-relevant work experience on your CV, it's value is pretty much strictly positive, and occasionally it helps catch a hiring manager's eye.

But...
Don't let it dominate your resume.

I regularly get CVs where more space is given to part time & vacation jobs than to the meat which is your academic skiils. I'd estimate that about 15% of the PhD level CVs I read give more space to summer jobs than their PhD.

Back