• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rotterdam School of Management , Erasmus University Netherlands

One of my friends has got admitted to the Masters in financial management programme at RSM.
http://www.rsm.nl/home/master/Executive-Masters/mfm

If anybody on the forum can comment on the reputation of Erasmus University and Rotterdam school of management or the experience of life in netherlands ( He is currently in India) or any comment on the programme itself will be appreciated.His current understanding is that the RSM has a strong brand name in Europe and ranks among top 10 in Europe and that most of the graduates of the programme are able to find jobs easily.

RSM's MBA ranks average (30-40th place as far as I remember) yet not top 10. The university, however, ranks lower. I have a few friends who studied there mostly in the Finance and Investments program. They are not really impressed by the university. Some of them found jobs in the Netherlands.

Bottom line is: No it is not really a good place but Yes it is good for the money that you are paying (tuition was ~ EUR 1000 for EU students). I cannot, however, say how good value it would be for an international student who would have to pay more like EUR 10k. Advise with alumni.

Thanks for your valuable inputs vuze. The tuition for the program in question would be 20k after scholarship.
Do you by any chance have any approximate idea of salary levels your friends got after graduating from the program.

You would need EUR 10k additionally for living expenses. An after tax salary that I know of is around the 30k. I do not know of any other concrete salaries but I can speculate that they are not more (or at least not a majority of them).

EUR 20k + 10k is too much. Find a bit more and go to Warwick/LSE/Imperial/...

Universities in Europe seems to be way too much expensive if you are not from EU.. In the beginning I was interested in browsing some of them, but after a while i got frustrated looking at the way they charge international student. To be honest, i dont even know any of my friends attending to any european universities with a full ride or with decent scholarship except for UCL and LSE.

Universities in Europe seems to be way too much expensive if you are not from EU.. In the beginning I was interested in browsing some of them, but after a while i got frustrated looking at the way they charge international student. To be honest, i dont even know any of my friends attending to any european universities with a full ride or with decent scholarship except for UCL and LSE.
Still cheaper than US universities.

Thanks vuze. Even the current alumni have quoted similar average salary figures. And yes 20k is less compared to many US universities but I guess Uni's in US don't discriminate as much in their fees structure. Say if someone wants to work in EU for couple of years to gain some international work-ex , isn't the chance of landing a job better in Netherlands compared to the UK uni's that you mentioned due to relaxed work-visa norms in Netherlands for Non-EU citizens.

Say if someone wants to work in EU for couple of years to gain some international work-ex , isn't the chance of landing a job better in Netherlands compared to the UK uni's that you mentioned due to relaxed work-visa norms in Netherlands for Non-EU citizens.

It depends. Most of the jobs in the nl require Dutch and Dutch is not a language to be learned in 9 months while doing your degree at the same time. I cannot say which one (UK-NL) would be easier for an intl as all my friends are EU. Probably someone on quantnet would have a better idea than me.

Still cheaper than US universities.
Hi,
I skimmed through Erasmus University's MS Quantitative Finance course. I found the content good (or atleast according to my interests.) Albeit, the fee for Non-EU is pretty much costlier than ETH Zurich its cheaper than most of the U.S and Canadian Universities.
My point is:
How are the job prospects there at Erasmus or in nl for Non-EU's?

Please don't see this post as being digressing and post your suggestions.

thanks

some of my friends found jobs and some didn't. All of them are EU so I cannot say anything about intl.

Try contacting alumni and they'll give you a better answer. I know that there is a class size issue with Erasmus, classes are too big (bigger than announced), so make sure you inquire about that.

I'm afraid but they didn't post any information regarding alumni on their programme website.

linkedin, xing, facebook, google; call the university explain that you are interested and ask them to put you in contact with someone

I don't know if they are at all interested in taking international students. Maybe for some reasons they don't even reply. I'm sure that this is not the time for admission process for them to be busy with the applications.
Anyway, I'm gonna contact the alumni on linkedin or FB

They have an over-friendly admissions office replying fast to anything and everything for the programme I mentioned.

It depends. Most of the jobs in the nl require Dutch and Dutch is not a language to be learned in 9 months while doing your degree at the same time. I cannot say which one (UK-NL) would be easier for an intl as all my friends are EU. Probably someone on quantnet would have a better idea than me.

Learning Dutch in 9 months is difficult unless you live with a Dutch family or married. And people like to speak English at you.

There is usually not a problem speaking English, in principle, especially in larger international organisations. But having Dutch is an asset.

There is usually not a problem speaking English, in principle, especially in larger international organisations. But having Dutch is an asset.

True. I am only saying what I was told from alumni. Their opinion was that most of the job openings require Dutch. There however are a number of positions, as you said in international organizations, that allow English or Dutch with no discrimination.

True. I am only saying what I was told from alumni. Their opinion was that most of the job openings require Dutch. There however are a number of positions, as you said in international organizations, that allow English or Dutch with no discrimination.

Back