• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers MSMF VS UIUC MFE

The FE program offered by UIUC is a first year program offered by the Departments of Finance and Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering at the Urbana-Champaign campus. The curriculum list was http://www.msfe.illinois.edu/msfe-curriculum. The reputation of the college of business of UIUC confused me of my choice. However, the placement of UIUC is not so good as Rutgers, and the MSMF program in Rutgers seems to be more practical than that of UIUC.
I don't know what to choose for my further study. Do anyone has some advice?
Thank you!

The FE program offered by UIUC is a first year program offered by the Departments of Finance and Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering at the Urbana-Champaign campus. The curriculum list was http://www.msfe.illinois.edu/msfe-curriculum. The reputation of the college of business of UIUC confused me of my choice. However, the placement of UIUC is not so good as Rutgers, and the MSMF program in Rutgers seems to be more practical than that of UIUC.
I don't know what to choose for my further study. Do anyone has some advice?
Thank you!

One of our members here is blogging about his experience so far into the quant world . Take a look at his blog: Reasons why I joined the Illinois Institute of Technologys Master in Finance program | Quant Network . This might give you some ideas / important factors to consider in making your decision.

Thank you very much. But I still need to get some advice about the curriculum of these two programs, because the differences between them make me feel so tangled and I do not know which one would help me for my future career~

FIN 500 - 4 HRS
Introduction to Finance

FIN 501 - 4 HRS
Financial Economics

I don't see the need for both of those in an MFE program. One of them is fine, or a Financial Accounting program.

I was so upset when I thought I had to take Financial Accounting and Corp Finance this summer...but now I have to take only one of those and C++ For Quant Finance so I am VERY HAPPY.

So yah. Rutgers curriculum is more mature than UIUC. The location of UIUC does not attract too many practitioners possibly as it is 2.5 hours drive from Chicago. Compare that.

It's not that hard to compare curriculums. Go look at an old program with a very mature curriculum and use that as a base. I sort of used Ms Finance princeton for core courses...and Baruch/NYU/Chicago for the more advanced courses.

Hope that helps.

UIUC deposit

I got first offer from UIUC MFE program with fellowship opportunities about 2 weeks ago. Of course I concerned about curriculum as well, but i don't have too much clue about whether its good or not. I applied UIUC MFE because its reputation of engineering and business( assume they have a good quality as well). And i am still waiting for the results from schools like NYU, Columbia, and Rutgers. The applications were just moved to admission committee more than a week ago.

I wish to end up at somewhere in or nearby NYC. But i have to deposit $1000 to confirm my acceptance of the UIUC offer by Apr 7th. Since i haven't got any offer other than UIUC, so it seems like i have to deposit first to keep the seat.

Anyone has any ideas about what strategy should i take? should i just deposit money, then wait for the other results and decide where i wanna go in the end? or rush these schools to give me decisions before Apr 7th?

I got first offer from UIUC MFE program with fellowship opportunities about 2 weeks ago. Of course I concerned about curriculum as well, but i don't have too much clue about whether its good or not. I applied UIUC MFE because its reputation of engineering and business( assume they have a good quality as well). And i am still waiting for the results from schools like NYU, Columbia, and Rutgers. The applications were just moved to admission committee more than a week ago.

I wish to end up at somewhere in or nearby NYC. But i have to deposit $1000 to confirm my acceptance of the UIUC offer by Apr 7th. Since i haven't got any offer other than UIUC, so it seems like i have to deposit first to keep the seat.

Anyone has any ideas about what strategy should i take? should i just deposit money, then wait for the other results and decide where i wanna go in the end? or rush these schools to give me decisions before Apr 7th?

Email and ask UIUC for extension.

FIN 500 - 4 HRS
Introduction to Finance

FIN 501 - 4 HRS
Financial Economics

I don't see the need for both of those in an MFE program. One of them is fine, or a Financial Accounting program.

I was so upset when I thought I had to take Financial Accounting and Corp Finance this summer...but now I have to take only one of those and C++ For Quant Finance so I am VERY HAPPY.

So yah. Rutgers curriculum is more mature than UIUC. The location of UIUC does not attract too many practitioners possibly as it is 2.5 hours drive from Chicago. Compare that.

It's not that hard to compare curriculums. Go look at an old program with a very mature curriculum and use that as a base. I sort of used Ms Finance princeton for core courses...and Baruch/NYU/Chicago for the more advanced courses.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much. Another question: What about the reputation of these two schools in financial field. Actually, I was attracted by the very good reputation of the business and engineering departments of UIUC. I need to know how people in field thought about UIUC. Also, some guys told me the the MSMF in Rutgers is quite famous in NYC. I was really confused...

Thank you very much. Another question: What about the reputation of these two schools in financial field. Actually, I was attracted by the very good reputation of the business and engineering departments of UIUC. I need to know how people in field thought about UIUC. Also, some guys told me the the MSMF in Rutgers is quite famous in NYC. I was really confused...

Read through the forums for MSMF. For UIUC, well they have very good engineering programs and a good business school. They are not a top finance school though, although in the mid-west you could say they are, making them a target for some of the Chicago firms. UIUC has a big name in accounting actually with a good PhD program.

It's a new program, and I think as the program matures and evolves it will be a good university for students who want to work in Chicago. I don't think it will be a target university for strict MFE recruiting by any of the NYC firms, but I could be wrong.

That's my opinion.

Read through the forums for MSMF. For UIUC, well they have very good engineering programs and a good business school. They are not a top finance school though, although in the mid-west you could say they are, making them a target for some of the Chicago firms. UIUC has a big name in accounting actually with a good PhD program.

It's a new program, and I think as the program matures and evolves it will be a good university for students who want to work in Chicago. I don't think it will be a target university for strict MFE recruiting by any of the NYC firms, but I could be wrong.

That's my opinion.
I really appreciate your opinion?Would Rutgers be a target university for strict MFE recruiting by any of the NYC firms?

I really appreciate your opinion?Would Rutgers be a target university for strict MFE recruiting by any of the NYC firms?

I do not know as I am not from Rutgers. If you were to read the numerous comments on the forum with a quick search of "Rutgers" you will see that the general sentiment is that Rutgers is not a target university.

If you're international students goto the university with the best international student placement. Call and ask how their international students were placed. If you're american, it almost won't matter which university you goto as if you have the skill sets to match your international counterparts, you will have a good chance of getting jobs anywhere...ALMOST...it will..but it will matter a little bit less. But this is DEFINITELY debatable, but it is my opinion from what I have seen in engineering and a bit in finance. Rutgers will get you far if you want to work in NYC, and UIUC will get you far if you want to work in Chicago IF you're american. Otherwise, you're in the same pool as the rest of the international students and it will be strictly upto you to secure your placements. This seems to be the general consensus mostly for the 'not top' programs. Go for the highest rank in that case. Make the rankings based on your judgement.

I did some detailed analysis of Rutgers and I think it is by far one of the best 2nd tier schools for msmf out there.

They have a intense program with decent finance electives (recently added)

I did some detailed analysis of Rutgers and I think it is by far one of the best 2nd tier schools for msmf out there.

They have a intense program with decent finance electives (recently added)
OH! Thank you very much. But i still doubt whether we have enough time to finish those electives.

As someone that knows people in the MSMF program, the info sessions are few and far between, and currently, there is no director of placement. Rutgers also faces a severe budget crisis.

Also, it's pretty far away from NYC, so it isn't like firms come running to recruit Rutgers students when the train trip takes an hour and a half, as opposed to 20 minutes up to Columbia or Baruch or just 5 to NYU.

I absolutely understand the distance and Rutgers not being in the top 10, BUT Columbia MSOR is not a good option either. I think you got in NYU. Well, ofcourse that would be the best option. No doubt! But, if I were to choose between MSOR and Rutgers. I would go for the later, as I will be able to learn the stuff better. (The issue is if Columbia suddenly decides to change the rules and state the MFE core courses under no circumstances can be taken by MSOR guys, then you are screwed!!!)

I absolutely understand the distance and Rutgers not being in the top 10, BUT Columbia MSOR is not a good option either. I think you got in NYU. Well, ofcourse that would be the best option. No doubt! But, if I were to choose between MSOR and Rutgers. I would go for the later, as I will be able to learn the stuff better. (The issue is if Columbia suddenly decides to change the rules and state the MFE core courses under no circumstances can be taken by MSOR guys, then you are screwed!!!)

That is very very unlikely to happen. I dont know where you are from but American universities are very flexible when it comes to helping kids learn. Hence, I doubt that will ever happen. At my undergrad university, we have the best medical school in the world and even then any undergraduate student can register to take medical school classes along with cream of the cream of the crop medical students.

That is very very unlikely to happen. I dont know where you are from but American universities are very flexible when it comes to helping kids learn. Hence, I doubt that will ever happen. At my undergrad university, we have the best medical school in the world and even then any undergraduate student can register to take medical school classes along with cream of the cream of the crop medical students.

I agree with Joe. North american universities in general are very flexible to help students out in any way they can. Professor in general are very accommodating and will let you in their class if you genuinely want to learn.

I am seriously not trying to challenge you or anything ...but, honestly want to know what happens if most MSOR students want to do the same and get in those classes

I am seriously not trying to challenge you or anything ...but, honestly want to know what happens if most MSOR students want to do the same and get in those classes

Almost always it's a first come first serve system till the class is full regardless of what university and program. As long as they allow external students to come in, the first preference goes to students in the program, and then first come first serve.

Be sure to register right when the registration egins.

I can tell you for a fact that at Lehigh, I was not allowed to enroll in stochastic calculus due to the fact that there were SO MANY people in it. So, caveat emptor.

Back