• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rutgers-Newark MQF

guys i need sum help! i got admits from Rutgers(MQF) and UNCC( Math Finance). How good is the MQF program at Rutgers? i seem to get different reviews!! and im awaiting gtech (qcf) decision.. but i need to finalize Rutgers before the 25th of march. can someone tell me abt the program at Rutgers (masters of quantitative finance).
@cj's did u get admitted to the MQF program too?

congratulations barbie!

i did indeed get admitted to rutgers (mqf) however, like you, i too am looking for more information. i already sent in my deposit as i didn't want to lose the seat in case i ended up going there but i dont know for certain if i am going to go or not.

are you a domestic student or international? trying to figure out if anyone from the us was offered a scholarship or only the international folk. i am a us citizen. no scholarship notifications yet. i am aware of 2 cases of international students who got varying amounts of scholarships.

@Cjs So sorry for the delayed reply! i dint login to quantnet for quite a while. Oh u already made the payment HUH??? 800 USD? ive not paid yet!! and im still waiting to hear from gatech. which do u think is better?? gatech or rutgers. Ive to pay Rutgers by the 28th :(

i hope all is well.

i THINK rutgers will be a better choice compared to gtech just going by the location. other more experienced members will have to chime in. especially if you are an international student, you might have a harder time applying for internships out of atlanta as opposed to new jersey. it is hard enough for us citizens so if it were me, i would take every bit of advantage i could get. it is a fierce world out there. to this end i am still considering dropping a year and taking finance/coding classes to round out my resume and take a crack at admissions again next year and hope that i get in to the school of my choice (not the safety schools).

yes, rutgers required $800 as payment to reserve the seat. i dont know if there is a difference between what international students have to pay and what us citizens have to pay so your number may or may not be different.

Rutgers now have 3 competing programs and I'm really curious to learn the thought process of why people picking the Rutgers MQF program over the MSMF and vice versa.
We have someone here who is teaching in the MQF program so maybe he can comment but from the outside looking in, it's hard to get anything specific from the program.
The employment page is nothing but a list of firm names that keep increasing over the years. You have no idea how each class fares. This program is based off a business school and it's rare that a business school doesn't use salary numbers to showcase their strength.
http://business.rutgers.edu/mqf/employment-outcomes

My personal rule of thumb: if they don't or can't tell you about the placement statistics, stay away from them.

Well my best option right now for mfe is rutgers. but due to a combination of issues, the lack of placement stats included I am leery of taking up the offer. It makes taking 100k in loans not sound like a good investment. I didnt apply to the msmf program because I hadn't taken pde yet and they seemed hell bent on see that course completed before the application were completed. The more I read about rutgers the more scared I get. Some thoughts on the program or perhaps some details from Ken would go a long way in helping me make this decision.

@cj's Well the deposit is the same for international students, i tried to extend the deadline but they do not provide extensions! and 30th is the last day for me to pay. And by the way i if i do hear from gatech i wud take it simply because the fees is a lot lesser than rutgers is. And from what ive read n heard the placements at gatech re fairly decent (for qcf i mean). No doubt Rutgers has gud placements too though the link andy shared jus has the list of firms tat recruit! i did speak to a few people who completed mqf at rutgers , i got a pretty gud feedback.

cj's where else hv u applied? Im from India, which state in the United States re u from?

@barbie I applied to rutgers and Boston. Was filling out applications to other programs that were ranked below rutgers and when I got in there I didn't bother finishing the applications to the other programs. If i had scored 800q I might have finished my application to baruch as well and rolled the dice but due to financial constraints at the time and well not getting an 800 I decided against it. Really wanted to go to Boston but didn't get in there. I am still undecided on rutgers. Going to send out a few emails to past graduates to get a feel for how life is after the mqf program. Would be helpful if you could share the replies you got from the graduates so I don't email the same people.

Hi cjs and barbie,

Even i got an admit from rutgers mqf and fsrm. From the discussions it still looks pretty hazy about the placements scenario.

Although barbie talked to some alumni and feel tht placement is fine. Barbie is it possible for you to share tht info which u got from alumni

I got a few calls but still i m confused abt the placements, need serious help regarding placements

1. Rutgere Mqf
2. Rutgers Fsrm
3. Simon school of business MS Finance( came to know repitation of school is great but placements are dicy for MS Fin students as compared to mBA students)
4. Boston college virtual interview call( seems a soft way to reject student)

So please help, i am an international candidate from India

Tia and regards
Nik

just between mqf and fsrm, i would pick the mqf program simply because it has been around longer. unless of course you want to go specifically into risk management. there are bound to be teething problems with any new program. how they deal with them will indicate how they look a few years from now but i wouldnt want to be around while they figure things out for themselves. i havent really heard much about rochester or boston college around these parts. post in the general areas if you want to know more about those programs.

Yeah MQF would be a better choice but considering its fees 100k $ for 2 years, it seems to be a gamble as the placements are still not bold enough.

FSRM introduced this year itself lacks the experience.

+ve about Rutgers which i feel is the prime location and easy access to wall street. This might make at least the job search easier for us.

-ve no insight about the career management graph or the placement statistics of the school.

Getting to NYC from Rutgers is still a bit of a train ride. If by location you mean that you can actually get to NYC, yes, that's the case. But if you mean employers taking the PATH down to Rutgers to recruit MSMFs or FSRM or whatever else, then no. Columbia and NYU and Baruch are easily better than Rutgers, no questions asked. I remember when job hunting last summer that the engineering job search help guy I spoke to gave me the careershift.com website for Rutgers alumni (only valid for a year) and told me that many of the MSMFs were going to him seeking help, and judging from what I saw from what a friend let me see about their job portal, those "MSMF only" jobs are junk that gets posted across the internet anyway, and to top it off, they're not even all that good of quant positions. They're more like actuarial, banking, and other kinds of jobs that look for a "smart" candidate, as opposed to one necessarily with a background in...well...whatever theoretical stuff they teach in that program.

From actually working at a firm that employs quants, I can tell you for a fact that aside from whatever sparse programming backgrounds taught at Rutgers (it isn't much), the rest of those courses really have little bearing on the kinds of work that someone entry-level will be asked to do. IMO, MFE grads could probably do themselves well with a reality check--because if a firm is successful enough to hire you, it's probably successful enough to the point that they don't need a new grad telling them off the bat on how to improve their strategy, so much as they need a new grad to take the data work off of their chests so that those guys can focus on doing the strategizing/modeling, while the new grad learns the business.

Grads don't just get plopped on a quant desk and make the firm go places. And in terms of preparing individuals to do that heavy lifting data work, any course you spend writing in pencil and paper and thinking conceptually about variables and proofs is a course that's going to go to waste.

Hey Nikhil. I too got admit for MQF program. Do keep us updated if u get to know anything else. Btw where are you from India. I am from New Delhi.
@IlyaKEightSix Thanks for the info. That was quite an insight. But does that mean you dont recommend the MQF program at all?
Do you have any idea about RIT MS Finance program? I am considering it because there is a lot of difference in their tuition fee.

Hi Anuj,

Even i am from New Delhi, mehrauli.

I am very much concerned on the placements for MS Finance.

One of my friends studying in Simon School of business, rochester indicated that placements are not very positive for msf students, whereas MBA students are the pick from companies point of view.

So is it really so?????? Should i drop the idea of MS :(

Regards
Nik

Hey , I am staying up at daryaganj.
Ya I heard the same thing about MSF. Its always compared with MBA Finance.
MQF looks better in that case but the fee is too high considering the job prospects and other univs.

Hi All,
I got accepted to the MSF program at Boston College, and the MQF program at Rutgers..

Pls suggest which of these would be better from the POV of placements,esp in banking?

I am an international candidate from India.

Thanks,
Aisha

Congrats Aisha for your acceptance. But again the point of discussion still revolves around the placements not good for MS Finance students as compared to MBA students.

I feel Boston College MSF has the advantage of lower fees and being very old in this field has a better network through Alumni and faculty.
MQF at Rutgers looks to be a great program, but the university fails to either post the placement stats on the website or they want to keep it secret. :) . Also this is not a very seasoned program.

But Boston College has better placements and the BC MSF has been compared with UIUC > VANDY > Purdue and at par with Simon School of Business.

Although these comments are from whatever I could make out from different blogs and I am just a rookie, and so would request some experienced bloggers like IlyaKEightSix to pitch in.

~Nikhil

Back