• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Second Edition - A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
Second Editions of A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering and Solutions Manual - A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering by Dan Stefanica were published in March 2011.

A 15% discount off the list price is offered when the books are purchased together from this page.

The First Editions, published in 2008, were warmly received by a large audience, including students and prospective students of financial engineering programs, academics teaching in such programs or in finance departments, and many practitioners from the financial industry, and were the top two QuantNet bestselling books of 2010.

The Primer and its Solutions Manual are the first books in the Financial Engineering Advanced Background Series.
Publisher: Financial Engineering Press
Table of Contents: see attached
FE Press page and Sample sections: http://www.fepress.org/primer-second-ed/
FE Press Price: $43.40 (List Price: $62)
Amazon page: http://tinyurl.com/5rquyt6
Publisher: Financial Engineering Press
FE Press page: http://www.fepress.org/sol-man-primer-second-ed/
FE Press Price: $28 (List Price: $40)
Amazon page: http://tinyurl.com/66ynlzh

Reviews for “A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering”, First Edition:

One of the hottest degrees on today's campus is a Masters in Financial Engineering. Whether you need to retrieve hallowed memories or just want to familiarize yourself with the mathematics underlying this degree, this unique book offers a terrific return on investment.
Peter Carr, PhD
Global Head of Modeling, Morgan Stanley; Director of the Masters Program in Mathematical Finance, Courant Institute, NYU

This is the book I always recommend to people who ask about their mathematics before doing an MFE, and a few people could do with reading it after as well.
Dominic Connor
Director, P&D Quantitative Recruitment

NEW TOPICS:Dollar duration, Dollar convexity, DV01; the effect of parallel shifts in the yield curve to changes in bond yields; bond portfolio immunization; arbitraging the Put-Call parity; percentage vs. log returns for individual assets and portfolios; optimum investment portfolios: maximum return portfolios and minimum variance portfolios; the numerical precision of finite difference approximations of the Greeks.

New or expanded sections:new chapter on solving nonlinear problems; expanded Lagrange multipliers sections; streamlined Taylor series and Taylor expansion sections; Mathematical Appendix at the end of the book.
Financial applications (selected):Put-Call parity, bond mathematics, numerical computation of bond yields, Black-Scholes model, numerical estimation for Greeks, implied volatility, yield curves bootstrapping

Mathematical topics (selected):numerical approximation of definite integrals; Taylor approximations and Taylor series expansions; finite difference approximations; Stirling's formula, polar coordinates; numerical methods for solving one dimensional problems; Newton's method for higher dimensional problems

The Solutions Manual to the Second Edition of A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineeringoffers the reader the opportunity to undertake a rigorous self-study of the mathematical topics presented in the Math Primer, with the goal of achieving a deeper understanding of the financial applications therein.

Studying the material from the Math Primer and using the Solutions Manual as a companion is an efficient way to ensure that the reader can solve every exercise, therefore achieving a deeper understanding of the financial applications therein.

About the Author

Dan Stefanica has been the Director of the Financial Engineering Masters Program at Baruch College, City University of New York, since its inception in 2002. He teaches graduate courses on numerical methods for financial engineering, as well as pre-program courses on advanced calculus and numerical linear algebra with financial applications. He has a PhD in Applied Mathematics from New York University and taught previously at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Attachments

• 2nd_ed-math_primer-cover_fe_press.jpg
    2nd_ed-math_primer-cover_fe_press.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 2nd_ed-sol_man_math_primer-cover_fe_press.jpg
    2nd_ed-sol_man_math_primer-cover_fe_press.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 339
  • 2nd_ed-math_primer-toc.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 292
Following up on private inquiries, I asked whether the second edition will be discounted on Amazon (as the first one was), but it seems it will not be, for the foreseeable future. Other books that were previously discounted (Joshi's interview questions book, for example, and the new books by Piterbarg and Andersen) are in a similar position.

Following up on private inquiries, I asked whether the second edition will be discounted on Amazon (as the first one was), but it seems it will not be, for the foreseeable future. Other books that were previously discounted (Joshi's interview questions book, for example, and the new books by Piterbarg and Andersen) are in a similar position.
At least, no other resellers are pricing your book at $23,000,000

Got the books today, nothing beats a new book smell (besides a new car)

I have ordered mine, not even an email that says "we have received your order and it's being processed" or "your book has been shipped".. nothing... . I followed up, no response.... bad tracking system..

Thank you for pointing this out, I will follow up.

I am so very eager to read your famous text Dan, but I don't even know where my copy is :(

Famous or not, it proved itself very useful to MFE students and graduates :)

I will pm you as soon as I hear something.

I just noticed that the solutions manual is dedicated in my mother-tongue, that's nice :)

Hi Dan , I got the following mail on April 12, But still have not got the books.

Dear Babinu Uthup,

Thank you for your order. This emails confirms that the books shipped out today and you should be receiving them in the near future.

Best regards,

FE Press, LLC
http://www.fepress.org/

Could you please let me know as to how I should follow this up ?

Thanks
Babinu

I will ask them to investigate. Shipping abroad seems to go very slowly...

I will ask them to investigate. Shipping abroad seems to go very slowly...

Hi Dan ,

Sorry forgot to mention the receipt number . I have pasted it below. Let me know any support email id to which I should ask .

Receipt No: 3908-6552-5478-6070

I just got my book. Although it took more than a month to arrive I'm so happy to finally get the book, and the fact that is signed by Dan just makes it better! Thanks a lot Dan! It's more than a pleasant surprise! :)

is there a way to get it at this price now
"FE Press Price: $43.40 (List Price: $62)"
or was that just at launch?

Back