• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Second Tier schools?

I am currently finishing up my third year of undergrad and wanted to get an idea of some graduate schools to apply to starting in the fall. I think I am leaning towards something along the lines of Princeton MFin because I am very interested in finance and the math that goes with it (asset management, derivatives pricing,etc) , but am not "in love" with programming.

I am a Financial Economics and Math double major with 3.44 gpa. I have coursework in Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, etc., as well as two courses in Econometrics. I have not yet taken the GRE or GMAT but my concern is that with my low gpa I will not be accepted into top tier programs such as Princeton or MIT . I was looking for suggestions or recommendations on schools to apply to that are a step down from the very top schools but still have a similar curriculum and good job placement. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you know of any programs that are most similar to Mfin at Princeton. That is the type of program I am looking for. Most of the MFE programs seem pretty heavy in computer science. I do dislike programming , I would just like a program and later a career that doesn't involve everyday computer programming for hours on end.

I look at the Princeton MFin program to be more in the MS in Financial Math category. Much more quantitative than more traditional MSF programs. The MIT MSF kind of straddles this distinction, being used for people who want banking as well as those interested in more typical quant careers.

Once you move outside of these programs you have a host of well known schools and programs. The MSF hasn't matured to the point that the MFE has so you don't see as many top schools offering it. The schools offering MSF programs tend to be very strong regionally which is why I advise students to focus on what area of the country they are interesting in working and living.

Check my site out of shoot me a message if you want more information. Always happy to help!

Back