• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Second Year Math Options

Im currently need to choose 2 out of Linear Algebra 2, Statistics, and Analysis 2 for my next year. I want to be a quant in the future and maybe to a master in quant finance or something related but every time I talk to someone in my uni about what to choose they either say you can pick up stats when you want to easily and analysis and linear algebra are much more useful and impressive to have for a masters however statistics opens up machine learning in year 3 so im very conflicted. Does anyone on here with more experience have any guidance on what to choose?

i like metric spaces and stats more but apparently linear algebra and analysis is better for a masters

What do you like about stats
my favorite part is when we end up doing stuff like linear regression and confidence intervals, so we end up making conclusions that include uncertainty within them and we can actually quantify and measure the uncertainty to know to what degree we can trust our solution. That was pretty fun

What is taught in each class?
Ill be putting in what looks like the biggest or important topics in each one from notes and problem sheets

Linear Algebra has groups and abelian groups, rings, Direct sums and quotient spaces, permutation groups, bilinear and quadratic forms, abelian groups, polynomials and linear operators

Stats has likelihood functions, asymptotic distributions, theory on mles, beysian inference

Analysis 2 has metric spaces and continuity, limit points, open and closed sets, contraction mapping theorem and compact and connected sets

Ill be putting in what looks like the biggest or important topics in each one from notes and problem sheets

Linear Algebra has groups and abelian groups, rings, Direct sums and quotient spaces, permutation groups, bilinear and quadratic forms, abelian groups, polynomials and linear operators

Stats has likelihood functions, asymptotic distributions, theory on mles, beysian inference

Analysis 2 has metric spaces and continuity, limit points, open and closed sets, contraction mapping theorem and compact and connected sets
Here's my advice on what to think about.

Machine learning and Statistics is big especially for buy side quant research so realistically if you want to have the best chance at getting into that area it is extremely helpful to pick statistics and then machine learning. If you end up going to a masters and try to pick it up statistics and machine learning there, you won't have the knowledge in time to compete for research internships. But you can always just try for an easier internship and apply again for full time.

On the other hand you may never have the chance to take some of these fundamental math courses again (at least in a official school setting). Algebra and Analysis are great core classes for building mathematical maturity which basically allow you to take any graduate level courses. Your linear algebra 2 is basically an abstract algebra course. However in terms usefulness for getting a quant job, neither are particularly necessary.

If you want to do statistics then machine learning, I would pick Analysis 2 over algebra since 1. you said you like analysis more 2. it could be more relevant to possible future graduate classes. But if you have never had an abstract algebra class, it could also be nice to get a taste of that.

Here's my advice on what to think about.

Machine learning and Statistics is big especially for buy side quant research so realistically if you want to have the best chance at getting into that area it is extremely helpful to pick statistics and then machine learning. If you end up going to a masters and try to pick it up statistics and machine learning there, you won't have the knowledge in time to compete for research internships. But you can always just try for an easier internship and apply again for full time.

On the other hand you may never have the chance to take some of these fundamental math courses again (at least in a official school setting). Algebra and Analysis are great core classes for building mathematical maturity which basically allow you to take any graduate level courses. Your linear algebra 2 is basically an abstract algebra course. However in terms usefulness for getting a quant job, neither are particularly necessary.

If you want to do statistics then machine learning, I would pick Analysis 2 over algebra since 1. you said you like analysis more 2. it could be more relevant to possible future graduate classes. But if you have never had an abstract algebra class, it could also be nice to get a taste of that.
I know i didnt respond last time i read it because it getting close to like 11 but i ended up going for analysis and stats (and we have to take multivariable calculus) like you suggested and for my block two i did PDEs and probability and programming, thankyou for you response it helped a lot i dont think i'll mind missing linear algebra as im already gonna do more analysis which i like more and got my highest mark in it in first year so it should be fine. I never even thought about internships during my masters yet or anything so it helped to put that in.
Thankyou for the quick helpful response!

I know i didnt respond last time i read it because it getting close to like 11 but i ended up going for analysis and stats (and we have to take multivariable calculus) like you suggested and for my block two i did PDEs and probability and programming, thankyou for you response it helped a lot i dont think i'll mind missing linear algebra as im already gonna do more analysis which i like more and got my highest mark in it in first year so it should be fine. I never even thought about internships during my masters yet or anything so it helped to put that in.
Thankyou for the quick helpful response!
No problem. Good luck!

Back