• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

selecting PhD topic

Hi I am just beginning my PhD in a few months, and still I am think about the main topic. I want to do it in high frequency trading, but I want to focus it depply, like order book or stadistical arbitrage.

I would like to know if somebody has any idea or can give some clue about the main topics that It is now on fashion in the big Universities.

I would like to now some links where I can read some Thesis and focus mine.

Many thanks.
Robbert.

http://quant.stackexchange.com/
Plenty of interesting questions for research idea.
Just a note of caution: what is fashionable now may not be so when you graduate. I can imagine the number of job opportunities for PhD who did thesis in mortgage-backed securities the past few years.
Market is changing faster than you have time to write a thesis.

Yes that is true, I would to do it in High frequency strategies and its robustnes to use it in trading, or try to open the range to stadistical arbitrage or pure arbitrage trading.

The only thing is the resource and data to do it. Somebody know some place where can give some tick data to do your PhD.

Many thanks.

I am from Spain, and the high frequency trading is no common here, then that is the reason that I can select it, becasue I wanted to investigate in one thing that is unknow here...

Thank you very much for the advice... I will try in the forum, It is dificult to find some data...
Many thanks I will ask here in the forum in the next conversation.
Robert

Back