• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Senator's son starts hedge fund in basement after DE Shaw internship

After he graduated from Columbia Business School last June, Adam Wyden probably had a bunch of offers to mull over from various employers. What he really wanted to do, though, was be a hedge fund manager. So he figured he’d just start his own shop, having the experience of trading stocks for his own account as Wharton undergrad (Class of ’06) and a summer internship with DE Shaw under his belt.

“Right now it’s just me,” Adam Wyden, 26, said when reached at the Wydens’ house in the Palisades neighborhood of Washington, from where he’s been running his $3 million fund since September. “I am the CEO, I am the secretary, and I am the chief marketing officer.”

“I just want my kid to be happy,” the 61-year-old Senator said in a telephone interview. “If this is the career he wants, I am all for it.”

Adam Wyden, a self-described “serial entrepreneur” with office space in the basement and second floor of the family home, began trading stocks for his own account while attending the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School as an undergraduate from 2002 to 2006, where he earned degrees in economics and management. In 2005, he landed a paid summer internship at D.E. Shaw & Co., working as an analyst on what he described as a $700 million long-short fund that bet on and against media, technology and telecommunications stocks.

“Not many college kids get to intern on a D.E. Shaw portfolio for the summer,” Brian Marshall, who ran the D.E. Shaw fund and now works as a senior analyst in the San Francisco office of investment bank Gleacher & Co., said in an interview.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...sement-after-son-has-d-e-shaw-internship.html

Yeah, I wish I had 3 million laying around too ...

Back