Should I even consider a career as a quant?

Hi,

I am a recent college graduate from a very unknown college (Metropolitan State College of Denver). I graduated Sum Cum Laude, with 4 BS degrees in physics, applied mathematics, civil engineering technology: construction concentration, and civil engineering technology: structures concentration, all with honors, and a minor in economics. My career goal is to run a hedge fund one day. I have a strong interest in finance, and I know how tough it is to even get your foot in the door at a hedge fund, so I am debating what routes I should consider, if at all (I don't want to waste my time studying for the GRE, polishing my C++ skills, or studying finance books if my application at companies or grad schools won't even be considered due to my unknown undergrad school). I have already experienced that graduating from a no-name school will get you absolutely nowhere in the engineering / science industry, no matter how many publications you have or how hard you worked. So, my first question is, should I even consider a career in finance, in hopes of running a hedge fund one day? If so, what route would you suggest (trader vs. quant)? Given my technical background, I think that becoming a quantitative analyst at a hedge fund would be a natural route for me. However, I'm not so sure that it would eventually lead me to become a hedge fund manager, which is why I'm considering the trader route as well. If you do suggest the quant route, would you suggest that I go on just for a MS in quantitative finance (or something similar), or would you suggest that I go on for a PhD as well (or just the PhD)? When I browse hedge fund job postings (mostly through efinancialcareers), it seems that having a PhD is what most funds are looking for (and they typically specify in math or physics, not finance), yet, in reading through these forums, it seems that an MS is more prized.

Thanks!

I think your route to hedge fund manager could be quant or non-quant just depending on which you prefer.

For a non-quant route I would suggest getting a few years of work experience in the financial industry if possible and then getting a MBA from a top program (in the NE would be good). Then go into investment banking, as I have seen a number of hedge fund position ads say that an ideal candidate would have such-and-such experience from IB.

Quant route you could go MS or PhD (either from a top university). Which is more prized I will leave to someone wiser than I but like you said most of the job postings I have seen call for a quantitative PhD from a world class university.

Back
Top Bottom