• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to get a detailed idea of what it's like as a quant trader?

I have a PhD in Astrophysics and have worked as a postdoc for nearly two years. I want to transition into Quantitative Trading.

I love maths and problem-solving. I enjoy working in a team. I have a competitive attitude and an eagerness to improve myself. Based on this, I think it could be a good career path.

However, I still have little idea what it's like to be a quantitative trader. I have been reading The Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance by Mark S. Joshi which has given me some idea of the mathematics and ideas used. I have also looked at company websites, such as Jane Street, Optiver, and IMC trading, but they don't seem to go into that much detail. Ideally, I would talk to someone in the industry. Do you know of any events near London where I can meet people in the industry?

Can you recommend any books, blogs, forum posts or videos to give me a detailed understanding of what's involved?

Ideally, I would talk to someone in the industry.

As someone in the industry, the reason why there is no 'detailed description of what a quant trader does' is because it's such an open-ended problem: just consistently make money while managing risks. We buy low and sell high and there are infinite signals (of varying quality and complexity) that we find/use to determine if a level is high or low. We also answer questions of how much to buy/sell, what risks are we actually exposed to with our position, is there a good way to hedge that lowers our variance substantially without much cost? There isn't a single 'right' answer and we're given a high degree of freedom of what we can do as long as we can logically justify our decisions.

Back