• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I send my GRE sub math score.

Hi, everyone. I got a 75% in GRE sub math and I just wonder if it is good enough to send them. I am an international students from Asia and you know, Asian are pretty good at math. So when I ask my friends about it, they laughed out. As a result, I did not send them at all during my application and now I wonder if that is a mistake.

Just to give more information of myself to make a better descions. I am a fresh gradaute from a famous university in Asia with GPA 3.5+, majoring in statistics. I did not do very well in some lower-level classes such as Linear Algebra, Calculus and Probability and statistics. (mostly B+, some B). But I achieved an average GPA of 3.82 in my junior year with a lot of As in Upper-level Statistics Courses. For GRE, I got 165 in Verbal and 170 in Quant. I took the gre sub test aiming to make up for those Bs in lower-level mathematical courses with a shining percentile around 90%, but eventually failed because of something I will never use again after preparing for this test, such as Topology.

Many thanks for any advice. I can not appreciate more if there are any current students in good MFE programs that can help me ask this question to the program directors. (especially math-oriented programs, such as Chicago Finmath, Columbia Finmath, and NYU Finmath)

I would not recommend you to submit it. Nearly all of my friends in China who took GRE Math got above 90%. So I guess a 75% would probably not be a plus for you given that your GRE general is already good enough.

For your reference, I was at the 86th percentile on GRE Math and I did not send the result.

By the way, I don't think undergraduate level topology is trivial as it does lay the foundations for more rigorous graduate-level coursework like measure theory based probability.

Last edited:
Back