• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should i take database???

Hi guys, I am a new CS major. I really would like to focus on cs subjects relevant to finance. Next semester, I will have my only chance to take database during my college years. Is this course important to finance? Should I take this course?
Can anyone give me some advice? Any information on database will be helpful.
Thanks!!!

Hi guys, I am a new CS major. I really would like to focus on cs subjects relevant to finance. Next semester, I will have my only chance to take database during my college years. Is this course important to finance? Should I take this course?
Thanks!!!

As for the essence of db in finance, it depends on what kind of programs you are going to create. See the related thread in most recent ones. There is exactly the same topic being discussed and very interesting insights given.

In a way, iniesta is right, you can teach yourself database...but this way of thinking could be applied for any subject ! You could teach yourself maths, physics, chemistry, etc.
Instead of thinking like this, try to talk with the professors responsible for the database course at your school by asking them if such a course could help you reach your goal of working in the finance industry. If you have access to older students who took this course, try to talk to them as well, this should help you decide.

In a way, iniesta is right, you can teach yourself database...but this way of thinking could be applied for any subject ! You could teach yourself maths, physics, chemistry, etc.
Instead of thinking like this, try to talk with the professors responsible for the database course at your school by asking them if such a course could help you reach your goal of working in the finance industry. If you have access to older students who took this course, try to talk to them as well, this should help you decide.
Yes, I will definitely talk to my professor. But i am not sure if he is familiar with finance. but thanks sagaG

Actually I'm studding SQL as well and the most effective way is to have an experience with it. No matter how many books you read, it is essential to play with it. Teaching yourself a database is good but you can teach yourself everything as well. The opportunity cost is time to completion(which will be faster-course or self studding) and efficiency - how do you know which part to concentrate on if you don't have an experience and don't know what is commonly used. So my advice would be to dig into the details of practical things and learn what is needed and commonly used. I had a different imagination on SQL until I got an experience with it. It's good to talk to professors yes. Good Luck

Thanks!!!
What are they covering in this "database" class?

I took couple of database classes in CS (~10 years ago) and they didn't teach me SQL. They taught very little schema design. However, they covered a lot of database design, index allocation, index optimization, memory management, paging, two phase commit, etc, etc. Nuts and bolts that you should know if you ever need to deal with data efficiently or with vasts amounts of data.

Those are really important as well. When having experience with database you concentrate less on theoretical details which alain provided, but more you focus on practice. But theory is important too. You can gain experience by getting some intern (as I did) to the related job and read some books on parallel.

This advice applies only to trying to get a job as a programmer in HFT, which I assume is your goal as a CS major trying to get into finance.

Yes.

Teaching yourself the syntax of sql is not enough. You need to know how to structure your systems to make them go fast. Your systems will involve many databases. This means learning the various bits of theory behind how databases are implemented, which is what you will get in a class, and something harder to come by yourself.

Well the theory is to be read and followed. But practice is a crucial part. I say again, having got involved in details of job market , for example what are you specifically expected from knowing SQL is also important. So try to evaluate the needs you'll encounter until you begin learning and then choose the best method of learning.

Back