• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I transfer or not......PLEASE HELP ASAP

Ok, so I am rising junior who is looking to get into IB/PE. I currently attend Elon University and am on track to double major in Finance and Accounting with a minor in Entrepreuership.

I just got accepted to Bucknell University though and am wondering if I should accept the transfer. As far as i know, they do not have a finance major so I would probably major in economics or management.

Basically, I'm looking for some guidance as to which is viewed better in IB/PE circles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need to make my decision quickly.

Thanks so much

engineering is viewed better than any of those majors.

I think he is asking about transferring to Bucknell and doing economics or management there and not about his degree major change?

Is Bucknell or Elon looked at well at IB's? I have no clue....I just know those are two liberal arts colleges from googling them. That's about it.

Yes, I am not asking about a major change, just really asking if switching schools would help me get into a big investment banking firm

I don't know much about those schools, but maybe I can give you some valuable insight.

I transferred to Cornell and it was by far the best decision I've ever made.

The professors are better. The classes are more challenging, and with more selection. People treat me differently, and damn it feels good.

But, its all about the career services department.

If it increases your chances at landing a job, do it; and believe me, it does.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

engineering is viewed better than any of those majors.

This is how I felt at first, but I've been questioning it as of late.

I think I would take the bankers route over the programmers...

BTW, This was semi-induced by that article about "the state of FE."

I don't think either school is a big target for IB as its normally defined so I don't see a reason to switch? It's a stretch to lump IB/PE with quantitative finance so this is probably not the best board for this question.

My comment has nothing to do with programmers.

Then replace it with engineer. Thats obviously not my point.

From the context of things...

engineering major, then on to quant analyst was implied.

Does anyone know of a forum that would be more knowledgeable about the IB side of things? Thanks, you guys have been awesome

I graduated from Bucknell 5 years ago. I know there are many Bucknell alumni in finance, and many at large banks/private equity. I know because I emailed many of them in a search for internships. While at Baruch, I was able to secure an internship at the US headquarters of an IB via a Bucknell alum.

I majored in physics at Bucknell, so I can't say much authoritatively on the econ or management programs. I do know a lot about the school, so if you are interested in other things besides how IB/PE firms view it (you should be since you will be spending 2 years of your life there at great expense, and you may not end up in IB/PE), feel free to ask.

Back