• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

SMU MQF (Singapore)

I do not have a Masters. I currently work in Asia. Thus, I am considering SMU MQF as a qualification upgrade for me.

From the content of this thread, am I right to conclude the following:
1) I shouldn't expect a $7k+ job from a top tier hedge fund after graduating from this course?
2) I shouldn't expect to gain a programming skill set that'll make me a successful applicant to companies like KCG, Jump and Tower Research

I do not have a Masters. I currently work in Asia. Thus, I am considering SMU MQF as a qualification upgrade for me.

From the content of this thread, am I right to conclude the following:
1) I shouldn't expect a $7k+ job from a top tier hedge fund after graduating from this course?
2) I shouldn't expect to gain a programming skill set that'll make me a successful applicant to companies like KCG, Jump and Tower Research

It's the whole package you bring to the table, and not just a Masters in QF.

It's the whole package you bring to the table, and not just a Masters in QF.

Then, I gather it is hard for one to get a lucrative job if he went to MQF right after undergraduate.

How many years of experience should he have going into SMU MQF?

No, that's not what I meant. Employers evaluate a job candidate on many factors. An MQF helps a lot but not everyone is suited for the more glamorous front office jobs like trading or structuring. Soft skills are also important.

I have got the offer

Hey Hari, hope you have accepted the offer! Are you coming from a finance background? I have been searching ard for people who are entering the MQF program - at least to know fellow students before sch starts.

Yes I have accepted the offer. I am from Engineering background. Practically no experience in Finance. What has been your major till now?

Hi all, just started my prep courses for the SMU MQF program. Steep learning curve - anyone has any advice on preps, textbks & exams?

Hey Hari, hope you have accepted the offer! Are you coming from a finance background? I have been searching ard for people who are entering the MQF program - at least to know fellow students before sch starts.

Hi All, I got the offer as well and start to prepare.
I am from corp. finance background (zero exposure to finance market & risk mgmt)
anyone made a group already for '17/'18 batch, i am wondering what is the content/outline for prep class

Hi All, I got the offer as well and start to prepare.
I am from corp. finance background (zero exposure to finance market & risk mgmt)
anyone made a group already for '17/'18 batch, i am wondering what is the content/outline for prep class

Hi there, I'm in the course now, local track. For prep class, it will be very mathematical in nature. Lots of stuff on probability & statistics (e.g. Moment-generating function). It can be a little complex for people with zero math /stat background as the lecturer will speed through prep & the actual classes.

Some lessons on python will only be covered when actual term starts & you have to be extremely comfortable with the programming language. Assignments will require you to code with a coding exam as well. Be familiar on how to use numpy, pandas, matplotlib, optimizers & solvers.

This course may be intensive & it's not going to be easy working & studying at the same time. But get to know your coursemates early on, study together, collaborate tgt - life would be much easier. $40k of sch fees is not just for that paper degree, expand your network & make some great friends as well. Hope my 2 cents here helps! Cheers!

Hi all, I'm in the 2018-2019 batch for International track. We can get a group going if there's sufficient numbers here.

Hi all, I'm in the 2018-2019 batch for International track. We can get a group going if there's sufficient numbers here.
hi Joel,

If you look at LinkedIn there is a group for SMU MQF 2018 class, i have asked to be included (no reply yet)
otherwise we can make another group!:)
im thinking to read some material for prep class

Hi,

I'm having an interview in 1 week, considering I have mathematical background (actuarial science). What kind of math and general question are asked?

Ty

Hi all, I am in the 2020-2021 intake. Anyone else who has accepted the offer?

Hi all, I am in the 2020-2021 intake. Anyone else who has accepted the offer?

Hi Roy,

I was sent the acceptance letter this morning.

I asked to be included in the LinkedIn group, but we can start a group in fb.

Congratulations!

Hi Roy,

I was sent the acceptance letter this morning.

I asked to be included in the LinkedIn group, but we can start a group in fb.

Congratulations!

Hi!!
Does anyone know how are the career propects in Singapore right now ? I've heard its pretty bad for International applicants and am confused as to weather to take up my offer in the US over SMU as I've heard the banking industry is pretty saturated. Can anyone let me know if you've spoken to an alumni. Would prefer knowing more from Indian students and why they are going for this course inspite of the lack of job scene.
Thanks !!

Back