• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Some Advice Would be Appreciated

Hi all,

Let me first say, I have a lot to say, so I will try to be concise.

I am a rising senior at Northwestern University, majoring in Electrical Engineering & Economics. My GPA is a little low (3.37/4.00). This summer I am interning at Accenture, doing some tech consulting, as well as working occasionally for a startup, Chimu Solutions, which is a firm that quantitatively analyzes soccer.

I'm not asking what my chances are for getting into various MFE programs, but really, about Wall Street in general.

I mostly plan on applying to consulting firms in the fall, but some banks as well. I have interest and experience in finance (Finance Intern at Cricket Wireless, treasurer for my fraternity ($90k budget), casually invest in stocks (mostly tech)).

I realize banks look at GPA first, and I believe that is the low point of my profile. How many of the bigger ones (I'm not talking about Goldman, 2nd tier is fine) will realistically give me an interview? I have had success in my Economic and Finance classes (more than my GPA would indicate). I feel I have strong communication skills and can conduct myself well in an interview, my main concern is just getting the opportunity.

I also plan on applying to MFE programs. Like I mentioned earlier, I am interested in finance, and believe I have the skills necessary to succeed in these programs.

My math experience: Diff Eq, all Calc up to III, Convolutions, Numerical Reasoning, etc.
Programming: C++, MATLAB, PIC (learning C# and SQL this summer)

However, after looking into these forums, I realize the majority of students are international and older than me (with more professional experiences). So, do these small programs (like Baruch, for example) even really look at students who are straight out of undergrad, and is it that common for people with my profile to apply?

Lastly, if I succeeded in getting an offer from a bank, that would put me at an analyst level. If I were to get an MFE, I would apply for positions associated with risk management. How do these positions compare with each other (hours, growth potential, compensation, etc.)?

Any solid advice or insight into these questions would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you all for your time.
Cheers

If you are talking about trading or M&A, and want to apply online, then HR first looks at your school name, then GPA, then previous finance internships. Regarding MFE you have kinda sufficient profile and I think you have a chance to get into some of them. And yes, majority of people who does MFE are just after undergraduate studies. Get good GRE and apply.

Thanks for the response.

I'm particularly interested in the answer for the last question I posted:

Lastly, if I succeeded in getting an offer from a bank, that would put me at an analyst level. If I were to get an MFE, I would apply for positions associated with risk management. How do these positions compare with each other (hours, growth potential, compensation, etc.)?

Anyone?

Do focus on the networking aspect of job search a bit more. Luck and knowing the right people plays bigger part than we realize. I know someone who got an invitation for interview from a total stranger at a shopping center...

Have you contacted director from any of the MFE programs that interest you?

Back