• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

SOP research topic are already researched upon.

Hi all,

I am writing my SOP for admission in PhD program in Quant but whatever topic i sort down, either they have already been researched on or they are as Working Papers by some students in other universities. Now, going this way i think, its hardly possible for me to find a topic .

So , is it possible that even if my PhD topic matches with others, i will be given admission?

Please advise.

Thanks ,
Vinay

What do you mean PhD in quant ? You mean financial mathematics ?
It is absolutely not necessary to have a topic to get admit into a PhD program, as far as engineering is concered. Don't know about math though.

Thanks for reply. Yeah, i meant Mathematical Finance. :).

So how and when does a professor picks up student for research. There may be case where multiple students may want to do research on particular topic but professor cant guide so many of them.

Most of the time, the students seek out and ask a professor to be his advisor. It's often the professor with expertise in the field the students want to work on.
You are supposed to select your field of study after two years of general study. It's rare that you must specify the problem you will work on or your thesis when you apply to the PhD program. It's supposed to be all about learn and discover your interest.

Thanks for reply. Yeah, i meant Mathematical Finance. :).

So how and when does a professor picks up student for research. There may be case where multiple students may want to do research on particular topic but professor cant guide so many of them.

Anything I say should be taken with grain of salt since I am an engineering PhD student.

You need to show some interest in what people are doing in the department, but usually, it is not a wise idea to single out ONE professor in your SOP. Ofcourse, if you have already talked to him and his response is enthusiastic, then you may take your chances.
You may want to write to him before sending in your application and see if he responds. Try to read his papers and try to make some intelligent comments about them in your email.

Back