• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Statistical Computing in R

Just found this online textbook. Not sure how great it is (I don't currently have the ability to judge that), but it is something, and it is free. Thought I'd post it here in case anyone wants to give it a look.

It is very self-contained, with all the source code uploaded with it. I think the author brings in cpp capabilities/uses at some point but I'm not sure.

Will be curious to hear from Prof Duffy and sir Palley on this. Especially with all the machine learning and data science hotness going on out there, I'm sure R has come up for them at least once or twice.

Have you guys found any use for R at all or does the Python and C++ (and C#) interoperability win so far?

I'm personally seeing R completely dominate in the statistics space with python also up there. Only the statisticians with a computer science link get into C++ to get a peek under the hood to make sure they understand how their statistical packages work.

Fascinating stuff all around!

If you look at Baruch's 5th year development report, you see the below stats on how often their graduates use certain languages. I looked into R only because I use it for school all the time, and I'm tired of hitting error messages I don't understand (they give no formal training with the language unless you take computational statistics which I haven't done yet).

I'm willing to get that @Daniel Duffy and Mr. Palley speak to C++ and Python as superior. A more detailed guess is that R is just a less flexible version of Python, its packages are great for beginners who don't need to adapt the code to specific situations, but I'd guess that makes it a step farther from true functional cpp stuff than python is. Couldn't really tell you why, that's just the feeling I've gotten when messing around with both.

Interestingly (though perhaps not surprising), the top three languages all have Pre-MFE courses from Baruch.
Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 9.55.46 AM.png

If you look at Baruch's 5th year development report, you see the below stats on how often their graduates use certain languages. I looked into R only because I use it for school all the time, and I'm tired of hitting error messages I don't understand (they give no formal training with the language unless you take computational statistics which I haven't done yet).

I'm willing to get that @Daniel Duffy and Mr. Palley speak to C++ and Python as superior. A more detailed guess is that R is just a less flexible version of Python, its packages are great for beginners who don't need to adapt the code to specific situations, but I'd guess that makes it a step farther from true functional cpp stuff than python is. Couldn't really tell you why, that's just the feeling I've gotten when messing around with both.

Interestingly (though perhaps not surprising), the top three languages all have Pre-MFE courses from Baruch.
View attachment 47598
Interesting figures!

Back