• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Summer Internship : buy vs sell side?

I am a masters student with a decision to make by early next week - I have a summer offer from a small prop trading firm in Chicago in their Algorithmic trading division, and one from an investment bank in NY in their Quant summer associate program. Both have almost equal pay and I really like the people in both, I couldn't go wrong with either but I think I can do better than flipping a coin!

Ideally, I want to be a quantitative portfolio manager in a big fund - neither of the internships are exactly that. So, in general, which position in a resume would be looked upon more favorably by a buy side firm? A buy side internship at a relatively unknown prop desk (it's not one of those "sweatshop" firms, just a legit but small market making/stat arb firm) or a rotational quant program at an Ibank?

Hey Byron, if you don't mind, give us an idea about your background? Sorry, I can't advise you, since I am not in the finance industry. I am here to learn from you guys.

I think you would be better off at the investment bank if it is a bulge bracket firm.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm talking to a lot of people for their suggestions, and I think I know what I'll choose. Jayanthan, I don't think I should share my profile in public, but feel free to pm.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm talking to a lot of people for their suggestions, and I think I know what I'll choose. Jayanthan, I don't think I should share my profile in public, but feel free to pm.

pm??? I am sorry man, I don't know that. What is pm?

Back