• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE The 2011-2012 Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College
November 2, 2011 - March 28, 2012

The Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College is offering a Pre-MFE Program for people interested in pursuing graduate studies in financial engineering, as well as for finance practitioners interested in studying the mathematical fundamentals behind financial models.

Mathematical and financial concepts that are fundamental for a successful learning experience in financial engineering graduate programs are explained in detail in these seminars. The seminars emphasize financial applications, and as such have a significant programming component; students will be strongly encouraged, but not required, to program in C++.

Note: We expect to make an announcement in the near future regarding the offering of an online C++ Pre-MFE Seminar, with content created by Dr. Daniel Duffy, Datasim Financial founder and the best-selling author of C++ and numerical methods books for financial engineering, and offered through QuantNetwork, the leading education and career resource for financial engineering.

Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications

Dates: November 2 – December 21, 2011

Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Program Director

Syllabus: see below

Tuition: $1,450

Registration: Registration for this seminar is now open. Please send a current version of your resume and a statement as detailed below at baruch.mfe@gmail.com

Probability Theory for Financial Engineering

Dates: January 30 – March 26, 2012

Instructor: Elena Kosygina, Baruch MFE Faculty

Registration: The registration for this seminar will open on December 1, 2011

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering

Dates: February 1 – March 28, 2012

Registration: The registration for this seminar will open on December 1, 2011

Schedule: Eight weekly sessions:
- Lecture from 6-9pm (taught by the instructor)
- Review Session from 9-10pm (taught by the teaching assistants)
Each seminar concludes with a Final Exam.
These seminars are not offered online. They take place on location at Baruch College, in Midtown Manhattan.

Registration Process: Enrollment is limited to 40 people in each seminar. To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@gmail.com with the following documents:
  • a current version of your resume
  • a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how does taking seminars in the Pre-MFE Program align with those goals
  • indicate which seminar(s) you intend to register for
Certifications:
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion will be issued upon passing the final exam and obtaining a 70% or higher average.
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion with Distinction will be awarded to students with a 90% or higher average.
  • Upon successfully completing all three seminars of the Pre-MFE Program with a higher than 70% average, a Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program will be issued.
  • A Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program with Distinction will be awarded to students who achieved a 90% or higher average in each of the three seminars.

Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found at The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College | Master of Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College.

Attachments

• pre-mfe-ac_fe-nov2011-syllabus.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
  • pre-mfe-prob-feb2012-syllabus.pdf
    50.4 KB · Views: 16
  • pre-mfe-nla-feb2012-syllabus.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
I have few queries regarding the pre-mfe programme :

1) I am based out of India and have a B1/B2 visa . Am i eligible to take the programme.
2) Also I want to apply for all the three courses , what can be done to mitigate the chance of getting selected for advanced calculus and rejected for the rest two courses later on.

Thanks

These seminars (unlike the C++ seminar) are not offered online, and we do not sponsor student visas for them.

Thanks for your reply sir. But can they be taken by someone willing to travel to states and already possessing a B1/B2.

I highly recommend these 3 courses if you have any plans to apply for a top MFE program.

Hello Stefan,
I am very interested in doing the MFE seminar but would like to know how many hours I would need to put in order to get most of it. In future I would be interested in doing part-time MFE.
Thanks

Hello Stefan,
I am very interested in doing the MFE seminar but would like to know how many hours I would need to put in order to get most of it. In future I would be interested in doing part-time MFE.
Thanks

What is your background? The amount of time you spend will likely vary based on your prior exposure to financial mathematics, as well as how rusty your calculus, linear algebra etc. is.

If it is very rusty, you may need 15-20 hours per homework. If you are very comfortable you might get away with 4-8 hours per homework, or perhaps even less. Just rough estimates. Individual results vary.

What is your background? The amount of time you spend will likely vary based on your prior exposure to financial mathematics, as well as how rusty your calculus, linear algebra etc. is.

If it is very rusty, you may need 15-20 hours per homework. If you are very comfortable you might get away with 4-8 hours per homework, or perhaps even less. Just rough estimates. Individual results vary.
My calculus skills are very rusty.. I am working on that. Other than calculus what other topics would you suggest as prerequisites.
Thanks

Enrollment Update: As of 09/07, the Admissions Committee accepted 21 applications for enrollment in the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications seminar.

There are 19 seats are left for registration.

This program is a great opportunity. A year ago, as someone without a Ph.D. in Physics or a Wall Street background, I probably would have had a 0% chance of getting into quantitative finance if it weren’t for the Pre-MFE program. I went into it pretty strong in math but with very little knowledge of finance and no experience programming. I came out of it knowing how to do a lot of really cool stuff. Even if you have a pretty good shot of getting into a financial engineering program (or working on the Street), these classes will give you a huge advantage over the competition.

You shouldn’t underestimate the amount of time that you’ll need to spend, but, that said, I wasn’t alone in being able to balance classes with having a full-time job.

Enrollment Update: As of 10/05/2011, there are three seats left for the Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications seminar. Over 70 applications have been received so far.

The last day to submit applications is October 7.

The enrollment in the Probability Theory for Financial Engineering and Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering Pre-MFE seminars is now open. Details on how to apply can be found below and at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-program.

Enrollment is limited to 40 people in each seminar.

Certificates of completion will be issued upon passing the final exam and completing the seminar with a passing average; see below for details.

Registration Process: To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@gmail.com with the following documents:
  • a current version of your resume
  • a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how does taking seminars in the Pre-MFE Program align with those goals
  • indicate which seminar(s) you intend to register for
The seminars are not offered online. They take place on location at Baruch College, in Midtown Manhattan.

Probability Theory for Financial Engineering

Dates: January 30 – March 26, 2012

Instructor: Elena Kosygina, Baruch MFE Faculty

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering

Dates: February 1 – March 28, 2012

Schedule: Eight weekly sessions:
- Lecture from 6-9pm (taught by the instructor)
- Review Session from 9-10pm (taught by the teaching assistants)
Each seminar concludes with a Final Exam.
These seminars are not offered online. They take place on location at Baruch College, in Midtown Manhattan.

Certifications:
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion will be issued upon passing the final exam and obtaining a 70% or higher average.
  • For each seminar, a Certificate of Completion with Distinction will be awarded to students with a 90% or higher average.
  • Upon successfully completing all three seminars of the Pre-MFE Program with a higher than 70% average, a Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program will be issued.
  • A Certificate of Completion of the Pre-MFE Program with Distinction will be awarded to students who achieved a 90% or higher average in each of the three seminars.

Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found at The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College | Master of Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College.

Attachments

• pre-mfe-prob-feb2012-syllabus.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 19
  • pre-mfe-nla-feb2012-syllabus.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
Enrollment Update:

Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2012. The number of seats was extended to 42 seats in each seminar.

Probability Theory for Financial Applications: As of 01/05/2012, there are 3 seats left for registration.

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering: As of 01/05/2012, there are 5 seats left for registration.

is there any plan to start another pre-mfe seminar recently? have you ever considered video taping the class and open the online one so that it will be free of time and location restriction?

We will offer the Pre-MFE seminars again beginning in November 2012. To offer an online version that would give a comparable learning experience to a classroom setting would be very challenging.

Back