• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The changing face of New York

I keep reading these stories about the NYC sub:

this site is not available in "most European countries" when I click it

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

I keep reading these stories about the NYC sub:

Wow, this is close to Columbia. Are you reading/seeing things like this all around NYC, or are they clustering in certain areas?

Wow, this is close to Columbia. Are you reading/seeing things like this all around NYC, or are they clustering in certain areas?

I'm part of a group of "Upper West Side Residents" so I get news pertaining to the UWS. But I imagine something similar is true for other parts of the city.

this site is not available in "most European countries" when I click it

A naked, emotionally wrought man was electrocuted on a subway third rail in Harlem on Saturday after he shoved a man to the tracks and jumped down himself to prevent the man from being rescued, eyewitnesses told the Daily News.

The man shoved to the tracks and a good Samaritan who tried to rescue him were saved.

Around 4 p.m. the crazed man — completely unclothed despite the January chill — appeared on the platform of the Central Park North/110th St. station and began gyrating and dancing next to random people, said a witness who made video of the incident and asked not to be named.

“He came up to dance on me, but I told him to get lost,” said the witness, who said he had seen the naked man at the station before and believed him to be homeless.

Next, the naked man found another person on the platform and began dancing next to him.

“That man felt disrespected, so he squared up like he was going to fight the naked man,” said the witness. “When he [the naked man] saw he wanted to fight, he started hitting him like crazy.”

A train approached the station.

“The man just lost his balance and the naked man was able to push him into the train,” said the witness. “He fell in a way that knocked him temporarily unconscious.”

When another straphanger jumped down to the tracks to save the shoving victim, the naked man jumped down to the tracks after him.

The naked man scuffled with the rescuer, said the witness. The good Samaritan, angry at having his rescue efforts interrupted, “just whacked the hell” out of the nude man, said the witness.

“It was a heavy punch,” the witness said. “That’s when the naked man fell.”

The naked man hit his shoulder against the third rail, said a second witness. The third rail carries 625 volts of electricity — more than enough to instantly kill anyone.

“I don’t even want to think about it,” said the first witness. “He didn’t die with any pain though. He died immediately. The shock was just too much.”

Police confirmed the incident, and said no one involved was charged.

NYT - How the Pandemic Left the $25 Billion Hudson Yards Eerily Deserted
The largest private development in U.S. history has attracted marquee companies, but is struggling with unsold luxury condos and a mall barren of shoppers.
" ...
But the pandemic has ravaged New York City’s real estate market and its premier, $25 billion development, raising significant questions about the future of Hudson Yards.
Hundreds of condominiums remain unsold, and the mall is barren of customers. Its anchor tenant, Neiman Marcus, filed for bankruptcy and closed permanently, and at least four other stores, as well as several restaurants, have also gone out of business.
The development’s centerpiece, the 150-foot-tall scalable structure known as the Vessel, closed to visitors in January after a third suicide in less than a year. The office buildings, whose workers sustained many of the shops and restaurants, have been largely empty since last spring.
Even more perilous, the promised second phase of Hudson Yards — eight additional buildings, including a school, more luxury condos and office space — appears on indefinite hold as the developer, the Related Companies, seeks federal financing for a nearly 10-acre platform on which it will be built.
Related, which had said the entire project would be finished in 2024, no longer offers an estimated completion date.
The project’s woes are in many ways a microcosm of the broader challenges facing the city as it tries to recover.
Related said it was counting on wealthy buyers filling its condos and deep-pocketed customers packing the mall to make Hudson Yards financially viable.
But that was before the coronavirus arrived in New York...."
00nyvirus-hudsonyards4-jumbo.jpg

Last edited:
Real estate slump happens all over the globe though, NYC isn't really unique in that sense. It might be bad in the short term for the developers/investors/retailers, but I think new developers/investors/retailers will step in once the economy recovers.

On a side note it feels weird that I've been "living" in NYC for half a year but I still haven't been to most of the places mentioned in this thread. I've only been eating out or buying groceries around my apartment/campus. It doesn't help that my tropical body hates the winter so much I wished I could hibernate until spring arrives.

Looks like London is changing rapidly as well, though not because of crime:

NLYP - Here’s where NYC’s real estate market stands right now

Homes under $1 million​

Data providers don’t break down home listing discounts by tier, but sales are booming for properties under $1 million in New York City — up 117% in Manhattan and up 153% in Brooklyn, according to Douglas Elliman data. Queens data is not available.

Brooklyn townhouses between $500K and $1 million stole the show: Sales were up 950% in January compared to the same time last year, according to Douglas Elliman.

“The one-bedroom market is doing quite well in Brooklyn, as is the townhouse market,” said Warburg Realty agent Christopher Totaro.

NLYP - Here’s where NYC’s real estate market stands right now

Homes under $1 million​

Data providers don’t break down home listing discounts by tier, but sales are booming for properties under $1 million in New York City — up 117% in Manhattan and up 153% in Brooklyn, according to Douglas Elliman data. Queens data is not available.

Brooklyn townhouses between $500K and $1 million stole the show: Sales were up 950% in January compared to the same time last year, according to Douglas Elliman.

“The one-bedroom market is doing quite well in Brooklyn, as is the townhouse market,” said Warburg Realty agent Christopher Totaro.
Housing price among different tiers always has a different trend. Homes with a relatively lower price are more liquidate and volatile in price.

I walked on the streets in our neighborhood yesterday and felt it was so quiet, much quieter than usual. People work from home, businesses and schools are half-closed. When fewer people being around in cities, there would be more crimes. Grown up in a big city, I always know that.

Last edited:
After seeing all the posts here. I'm seriously considering whether or not should I go to universities in NYC. Especially there are more and more hate crimes these days. Can anyone comment on how safe is NYC at this time as compared to 2019 before the pandemic?

After seeing all the posts here. I'm seriously considering whether or not should I go to universities in NYC. Especially there are more and more hate crimes these days. Can anyone comment on how safe is NYC at this time as compared to 2019 before the pandemic?

It's all over the country -- not just NYC. East Asians are seen as fair game. Keep in mind the majority of attacks are coming from blacks (something the US mass media studiously avoids mentioning).

If you can, avoid the USA altogether. This fellow is doing a roaring business helping Americans get out of the USA:

Back