• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The changing face of New York

Does anyone know more about the man found dead in morningside park within the last few days than what is being briefly summarized by most news coverage? Likely from a naive point of view, but nonetheless, I wonder how dangerous the surrounding neighborhood is, in case anyone can comment. I’m a west coaster about to make the move, and wonder whether I should only be looking south of Columbia on the west side.

Does anyone know more about the man found dead in morningside park within the last few days than what is being briefly summarized by most news coverage? Likely from a naive point of view, but nonetheless, I wonder how dangerous the surrounding neighborhood is, in case anyone can comment. I’m a west coaster about to make the move, and wonder whether I should only be looking south of Columbia on the west side.
Lived in Queens, Bronx, and Long Island most of my life. My sister is helping me through the process as she is has lived in many different areas of Manhattan over the years. There is a lot of overhype in this thread. Many places exist in Manhattan that you do not want to be hanging around, but a lot of it is common sense that you can easily pick up a general idea of what routes are safe and when they are safe.

As for Columbia and finding a good place to live, you will be best served staying in Upper West Side. People will say parts of Harlem have become nicer over the years, but UWS is just better in many aspects. Feel free to send a message to my inbox about what areas you are looking at and I wouldn't mind shooting them over to her for advice as well (this is essentially what I will be doing).

Edit: did not mean to sound insensitive about the recent death. That is terrible news.

Last edited:
Lived in Queens, Bronx, and Long Island most of my life. My sister is helping me through the process as she is has lived in many different areas of Manhattan over the years. There is a lot of overhype in this thread. Many places exist in Manhattan that you do not want to be hanging around, but a lot of it is common sense that you can easily pick up a general idea of what routes are safe and when they are safe.

As for Columbia and finding a good place to live, you will be best served staying in Upper West Side. People will say parts of Harlem have become nicer over the years, but UWS is just better in many aspects. Feel free to send a message to my inbox about what areas you are looking at and I wouldn't mind shooting them over to her for advice as well (this is essentially what I will be doing).

Edit: did not mean to sound insensitive about the recent death. That is terrible news.
Awesome man, really appreciate it! I'll send you a PM later today.

I don't think you were insensitive, for me it's important not to look at every instance of crime as a reason not to live somewhere. I brought it up in case anyone knew more about what happened as I found minimal info on it.

I’ve lived in nyc for a good amount of time and currently still go there for extended periods of time, it’s definitely not the same as before but 100% agree this thread is fear mongering / over hyped. Stay in the UWS in general to be close to Columbia, but don’t worry too much, it’s a generally safe area

Just a small note from what I've seen and heard from some of my friends, if you're looking at the area around Broadway/120th-ish there will be train noises to deal with. The 1 train line goes above ground around that part, before going back underground. For some of the older buildings the trains could also cause the windows to rattle, so if you're easily annoyed by such things you may want to avoid getting too close to the train line, or just find an apartment a few streets upward/downward.

I'm personally staying around the 145th (West Harlem, 3 train stops from campus), so far it's okay but there are indeed some parts of the area that can look quite sketchy. I usually tend to go towards the 1 train line (Broadway) as it's much brighter there and there are more shops/bars/restaurants, compared to the other direction (B or C train line) especially when it's 6pm+. It could just be me being overly cautious though.

New York's wealthiest look for exits as state readies hefty tax increase

I wonder what long term / if any impacts this will have on the finance industry in NYC/ the appeal of programs like Columbia (or NYU) if NYC isn't the go-to place for the "best" finance jobs (I doubt big banks are going anywhere); Also wonder if these executives that are leaving will lobby hard for candidates in the democratic primary that will figure out ways to provide tax relief

Thought exercise. Potential impact of Omicron variant on NY, Wall Street and folks who were called back to office. PS, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Looks like London is changing rapidly as well, though not because of crime:

this is an extremely depressing read

this is an extremely depressing read
BRESXIt is the root cause. The Tories want a Singapore in the North Sea and if they have to break International Law, so be it.
The Europeans have left, and for a reason.

The Blairite version of this was the belief that universities were the key to prosperity; and so they set about converting every polytechnic and further education college they could get their hands on in the false belief that the more bachelors and master’s degrees they could hand out, the wealthier Britain would become.

Cargo cult economy.

Back