• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The Future of FE Without Leverage

Hi All,

I'm a 37 year old man who is considering getting into FE after years of being a software developer (on the Windows side of things, but that's irrelevant).

What I want to know is your thoughts about this: It seems most trading strategies depend on having highly leveraged trading strategies (e.g. at about $30-$40 borrowed for every dollar of internal funds invested.)

Now that this leverage will disappear, does Financial Engineering have the payoff that it will have had over the last few years? Or is the goal of becoming well-to-do by being a 'quant' as silly as becoming well-to-do by becoming a lawyer from a non-Ivy league school is in 2008 (very bad chances (see "Hard Case: Job Market Wanes for U.S. Lawyers") ?

My assumption, of course, is that most trading strategies generating outsized returns depend on leverage. Are there other trading strategies that deliver out-sized profits that do not?

--Jon

I don't get it...

Are you saying that it is up to me to find a strategy? I agree with that, but I also agree that I'm no Einstein, and working like a dog for less and less money strikes me as stupid.

Are you saying that it is up to me to find a strategy? I agree with that, but I also agree that I'm no Einstein, and working like a dog for less and less money strikes me as stupid.

You've already answered your own questions in your two posts; your query, I suspect, is rhetorical. In short, if you're not already a math whiz kid, stay away from quant work: it's going to be intensely competitive, with declining opportunities and declining salaries and bonuses.

Postscript: Many (if not most) Americans are working like dogs for less and less money: the real inflation rate (not the bogus official figures) is now at 13.2%, and was 8% last year. Most people have had either constant wages or slight increases: real purchasing power is of course down.

Back