• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thinking about going into FE/becoming a Quant

MMF

Hey guys,

Math has always been my favorite subject so I've always wanted to go into a field revolving around it. I currently go to a state school and have a 3.4/3.5 GPA but my math GPA is about a 3.8. The low overall GPA is due to carelessness and not knowing what exactly I wanted to major in. However recently I've switched into a mathematics major for my undergraduate and I'm going for my masters at the same time. I've taken one graduate level PDE course so far in which I've gotten an A-. My plan is to try hard in these graduate courses and the remaining undergraduate courses in hopes of doing well and landing a spot for my PhD in applied mathematics at a top school, preferably an Ivy as I'm near quite a few of them. Do you guys think I will be able to get into a top school assuming my graduate courses go by well? Will this be an issue at all if I decide to pursue becoming a quant?

The remaining questions I have is about the quant field itself. I'm finding out more and more about it as the days go on as I'm quite new to the field. From my research I've gathered that it's a lot of work and quite risky, but it's a good job financially and also for those passionate in mathematics such as myself. However I've also read that it is considered to be not as hot as a few years ago, with salaries and job security going down. How much of this is true? Is the field still a good one to go into?

My other options which I am considering are to pursue an engineering degree or go into actuarial math.

Sorry for the long post and the load of questions. Thank you for reading.

Have you checked online for quant applications for decent jobs? 600 plus applicants. You would be competing with PhDs. It's a field where Barriers to entry is extremely small.

Have you checked online for quant applications for decent jobs? 600 plus applicants. You would be competing with PhDs. It's a field where Barriers to entry is extremely small.
Yes, I'm planning on applying to these jobs after I get my PhD in applied math, which is what my current goal is.

Back