• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trader background

FedericoM

Fred
Which accademic background would be better to be in Sales Trading & Research department of an IB?
Is Trading something related to experience or required a strong quantitative praparation, too?

Thanks everyone :)

The biggest mistake that many newbies make when it comes to getting into Wall Street job is try to generalize everything about Wall Street.

Wall Street has its own culture but it's a very diversified workplace. People come from different educational background, have various talents. The last thing you want to be is another cookie-cutter.

Re: trader background
Wall Street is hiring gamblers - Forum | Quant Network

Different firms/group has their own preferred gene pool. Some are more diversified than others. Same thing applies to MFE programs.

Do what you love best, be the best of what you do and good things will come to you.

It should also be said that it's extremely ridiculous to think it's easy to walk off the Street with a spanking new MFE degree into a trading job with their own book handling million dollars.
My own experience and the research I have done on the MFE graduates do not suggest otherwise. Just because an MFE program reports that their graduates go into Trading does not mean they are de factor traders.
Trading is a broad term that encompasses many roles. It can be trading support, booking trades, running PnL, consolidating trades on various books.

Everyone wants to be called traders but among those who call themselves so, there are many posers.

It should also be said that it's extremely ridiculous to think it's easy to walk off the Street with a spanking new MFE degree into a trading job with their own book handling million dollars.
My own experience and the research I have done on the MFE graduates do not suggest otherwise. Just because an MFE program reports that their graduates go into Trading does not mean they are de factor traders.
Trading is a broad term that encompasses many roles. It can be trading support, booking trades, running PnL, consolidating trades on various books.

Everyone wants to be called traders but among those who call themselves so, there are many posers.

Sorry if I was misunderstood: I did't want to generalize the figure of the Trader.
Besides, thinking of going to Wall Street with an MFE and then making million dollars sounds like the dream of a child. But, since many people base their idea about Finance on the film "Wall Street" or just on rumors, it's very important to understand everything in the right way.
Posers are everywhere. That's the reason why I asked my question here: I know that, on this forum, I can find qualified people than can correctly answers my questions.

That post wasn't directed at you, mafiosax. It was just a good idea to put it out there before more people jumping on the trader wagon based on their Wall Street movie.
As long as you want to "understand everything in the right way", fire away. Many people here already got an MFE and are working on Wall Street.

Ok. Your purpose is surely right: imagination often does not mean "reality".

It's always good to ask people that know Finance field really well. That's one of the ways through which I can improve my knowledge.
Thanks you.

Back