• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Traditional XLL's in C#

Hello Guys
I have been following this forum for a quite while, I especially enjoy the articles on writing C# functions for Excel. Now I think I have something to contribute.
I have found out that the xlw project is about release a version with C# support. I was referred to the following link:

http://xlw.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xlw/branches/xlwnet.tar.gz?view=tar

I've spent the best part of today testing it and it really is impressive. It's so easy to write xlls in C# with it. We're not in a position to use it on our prod platforms until they do an official release.
I have been waiting for something like this for a very long time.

Well it'd be nice to have some of you guys give it a whirl and express your thoughts.

Chris

... I have been able to write pure C# functions, with an attribute, and they just appear in Excel along with all the other built in functions. There's no messy COM registration, which is what I have been used to.
For those who have used xlw to write C++ function will find it very natural, as its the same except for C#.
To open the addin you just double click on it and Excel automatically opens and you have the functions ready to go. Also since theres not COM registration, you don't need admin rights to use it.
I should add that in the function wizard you get the names and details aof each parameter along with the description of the function.

Do you mean the doc that appears at the bottom in the function wizard ?
And the doc that appears for each parameter in the function wizard ?

I have attached a screenshot of using a C# function that is in the example that comes with the download

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 93
Hello Guys
I have been following this forum for a quite while, I especially enjoy the articles on writing C# functions for Excel. Now I think I have something to contribute.
I have found out that the xlw project is about release a version with C# support. I was referred to the following link:

http://xlw.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xlw/branches/xlwnet.tar.gz?view=tar

I've spent the best part of today testing it and it really is impressive. It's so easy to write xlls in C# with it. We're not in a position to use it on our prod platforms until they do an official release.
I have been waiting for something like this for a very long time.

Well it'd be nice to have some of you guys give it a whirl and express your thoughts.

Chris

Am not sure whether the best way to get xlw is as a source tarball from the SVN repository. Instead xlw4 is downloadable as a proper installer, please see the thread "How to create UDF in Excel using C# and Visual Studio 2008" on this forum for details.

Happy XLLing

PS: Isn't "God Object" a term used by C++ people to be derogatory about languages like C# & Java ?;)

"PS: Isn't "God Object" a term used by C++ people to be derogatory about languages like C# & Java "

No, it is the term used by C++ programmers in the 80's about Smalltalk. These days they don't talk about it.

Officially, it was called the "cosmological object" :tiphat:

Back