• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Transcripts exceeding 2 MB

babinu

XYZ
Hi,

My scanned transcript of my institute come to around 6 MB and I am not able to upload the same. I was thinking of uploading the doc somewhere else and providing the link in the application. is it okay to do this ?

Are you sure that you can't reduce it ? There are so many scanning options to decrese size of a pdf file (indexing for search, dpi, font etc.)

Are there other options to upload the file instead of PDF ? Try different image formats with different compression options. Consider jpeg vs png - jpeg is usually prefered option for scanned images while png is better option for plain text.

open your file with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. Then go to the Document and then Reduce File Size.

You do not need highest resolution scans. Even a dozen pages should be well below 1MB. Good luck!

Thanks a lot Dan, One more question regarding the transcripts , my university transcripts do not include the descriptions of the courses, only the names and the grades obtained. I was thinking of uploading a document containing the descriptions of the relevant courses as well. Does that look good ?

Thanks
Babinu

If you think that would be useful to put the application in context, it is fine. The Admissions Committee would otherwise assume standard material was covered in each class, so it may, in fact, not be necessary to add that information.

One more question regarding the transcripts , my university transcripts do not include the descriptions of the courses, only the names and the grades obtained. I was thinking of uploading a document containing the descriptions of the relevant courses as well. Does that look good ?
I found that to be always useful to have a separate sheet listing all relevant courses (math/programming/stats/finance) with the syllabus, books used, programming language used and grades obtained.
That helps the reviewers a lot in getting better assessment of your background and in turn shows that you are doing the extra step to distinguish your applications.

Many transcripts are translated from another languages so they end up having nondescript titles such as "Mathematics I", "Mathematics II". And they cover different things from school to school.

Indeed, if the course titles are Math 1, Math 2, etc, you are well served by briefly presenting the topics covered in the course.

Back