• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

transition to investment bank quant role

Hey Guys,

I have MS in financial mathematics/BA in Mathematics and two years of experience in commodity trading and risk management, my strong points are stochastic/mathematical modeling/MatLab/C++/R. Currently I work at an Energy firm and want to shift to an investment bank quant role.
How difficult is the transition? My grad school is not among the top 20 but my grades have always been good, do I have a chance?

have you applied to a job? Have you spoken with a recruiter?

It shouldn't matter what anybody here will tell you.

I believe once you have a couple year of FT work experience, school is less relevant. People aren't going to treat you like entry level applicant with nothing with a degree to show for.
With what you do at your current job, you can look for similar roles in IB. Use keywords such as "quantitative developer", "modeling experience", "model validation" when you search for job. Contact a few recruiters to get you ready. I don't think you will have a hard time with the transition.

have you applied to a job? Have you spoken with a recruiter?

It shouldn't matter what anybody here will tell you.

Thanks for the reply,
No I haven't contacted any recruiter, I am thinking of applying directly to company's websites.

Go through a recruiter if you can. You will have a better chance to get in. Search QN, there are couple around here.

Back