• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Transitioning out of Quantitative Finance

I wanted to ask if anyone has successfully transitioned out of finance to other industries. I have personally lost interest in this field, and I am currently exploring other career options. I wanted to know other people's experiences if they have been in my position.

I'm a quant with five years' of industry experience from leading buy and sell side institutions. I too have largely grown weary of our industry, primarily due to the overwhelming banality of it all. Being of a scholarly disposition, there are limits to how much happiness I can derive from debugging other people's code libraries, building pipelines, and navigating through Kafkaesque corporate bs.

I like to imagine that the quant skill set will be welcomed in other careers. Data science has infiltrated virtually every industry these days, so this is an obvious exit strategy. Of course, one must ultimately ask oneself whether the grass is indeed greener on the other side, or if the source of one's unhappiness could manifest itself on a broader industrial scale.

Back