• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Triple Major?

Hey guys, below are two options I have. which one is better?
A. triple-major in math, cs, econ with 3.6 GPA
B. double major in Math and Econ with 3.8 GPA

Agree, definitely go with CS and Math.

But why the Econ? It's an interesting subject but CS/Math with a higher GPA would probably be better than triple majoring. You could consider minoring in Econ. If you go econ, I would recommend taking an econometrics class.

If he has a 3.8 math/econ and a 3.6 math/cs/econ, wouldn't that imply CS is the lower GPA? Unless he's predicting future grades...

I have a friend currently triple majoring econ, applied math and cs with a GPA around 3.7. Most of economics courses except those related to finance are not useful to apply MFE/MSFM.

If he has a 3.8 math/econ and a 3.6 math/cs/econ, wouldn't that imply CS is the lower GPA? Unless he's predicting future grades...
I have a friend currently triple majoring econ, applied math and cs with a GPA around 3.7. Most of economics courses except those related to finance are not useful to apply MFE/MSFM.
Just to clear it up. When i said econ, i really meant a business management degree with a concentration in finance.

what classes are you taking in the double major and in the triple major? Something's gotta give. how many credits do you need to cover to obtain each degree?

Triple majoring is not worth it at all unless you're a masochist and enjoy taking 21 credits per semester. It's much better from a GPA perspective, a lifestyle perspective, and even a learning perspective to take a more manageable course load. I agree with this guy.

If you want to go for a FE/MF degree later on, then CS + Math + bunch of relevant econ classes (minor, maybe?) is ideal.

In an econ major you will definitely take classes which may or may not be relevant to your FE pursuits.

Some Econ classes that may be relevant to Quant Finance field /FE are:
Intermediate Micro
Game Theory (Almost every Trading interview I've had has asked me NE questions. It is also a part of curriculum in the prop shops training for Trader position)
Econometrics
Derivatives
Fixed Income (could be considered business school finance)

FWIW,, my background Math+Econ+bunch of programming classes

If you want to go for a FE/MF degree later on, then CS + Math + bunch of relevant econ classes (minor, maybe?) is ideal.

In an econ major you will definitely take classes which may or may not be relevant to your FE pursuits.

Some Econ classes that may be relevant to Quant Finance field /FE are:
Intermediate Micro
Game Theory (Almost every Trading interview I've had has asked me NE questions. It is also a part of curriculum in the prop shops training for Trader position)
Econometrics
Derivatives
Fixed Income (could be considered business school finance)

FWIW,, my background Math+Econ+bunch of programming classes
I am doing Math+Econ+minor in cs too. So, i guess we have some similarities in our backgrounds. The only difference is that I am looking to transfer. As a junior, I will lose some credits for sure and take new courses, which I expect to be on CS.
I hear the MFE MMF applications these days are pretty tough. Not sure how much advantage that would bring me.

Back