• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Turned down chance at QA. Right move?

CGiuliano

Lowly Undergrad
It's been a while QN - How's everyone doing?

So, I managed to land two quantitative analysis jobs out of undergrad. They were both entry level analyst gigs. One was a rotational program surveying modeling (hardcore programming), structuring & risk management. They were pretty good firms, too (insurance co. & a bank).

I ended up turning them both down and accepting an Investment Banking offer.

I've been shooting at FE for around 2 years now, so everything just changed. The offer was just to sweet to turn down.

I'm curious what people think about this. Do you think IB was a better choice in terms of exit opps/grad school?

It's been a while QN - How's everyone doing?

So, I managed to land two quantitative analysis jobs out of undergrad. They were both entry level analyst gigs. One was a rotational program surveying modeling (hardcore programming), structuring & risk management. They were pretty good firms, too (insurance co. & a bank).

I ended up turning them both down and accepting an Investment Banking offer.

I've been shooting at FE for around 2 years now, so everything just changed. The offer was just to sweet to turn down.

I'm curious what people think about this. Do you think IB was a better choice in terms of exit opps/grad school?

I think this was a good move. If you want to get anywhere in the quant world, you're going to need a MFE or PhD anyway. See how you like ibanking for a couple of years. If you don't move up and are getting pushed out, apply to MFE programs. Your ibanking experience will show dedication to finance which will help your chances. However, you're not going to have time to keep up the studying to remember quant stuff.

Best exit fro IB analyst position is after 3 years experience, get MBA from Harvard and then starting salary $210 K which doubles and triples extremely quickly.

It was probably a good move just because you made the decision you were comfortable with. Don't worry too much about decisions already made, take advantage of the opportunity you have in your hands now.

Thanks guys -

Yeah, after carefully considering the details, I just went with my gut - it felt right.

Back