• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM U Chicago looking for New Director

We have been following this story. Report of Dr. Nagaard's dismissal first surfaced about two weeks ago. Our research shows the search for his replacement started a few months ago so this has caught many students and alumni of the program by surprise.

We'll have a story coming out soon when we receive official statement from U Chicago.

We have been following this story. Report of Dr. Nagaard's dismissal first surfaced about two weeks ago. Our research shows the search for his replacement started a few months ago so this has caught many students and alumni of the program by surprise.

We'll have a story coming out soon when we receive official statement from U Chicago.

Looks like students opinions can really make a difference.

Andy said:
this has caught many students and alumni of the program by surprise.

Joy Pathak said:
Looks like students opinions can really make a difference.

If it caught students and alumni by surprise, how is it possible that the students' opinions can make a difference?

If it caught students and alumni by surprise, how is it possible that the students' opinions can make a difference?

Many people have been giving bad reviews about the director and the program. I am sure they were "surprised" in the sense that there is actually significant changes being made possibly based on their reviews of the program. I am talking about general views and not specifically QN reviews..

I do not know every graduate. I do not know where Andy got that statement from about students and alumni being surprised, but I am just speaking in general, many students/alumni have been talking about wanting changes/improvements in the program in particular areas and seems like the administration are listening to them. I replied in a general sense to Andy's statement, rather than specifically to anything he had written.

Oh, I got it. Thanks for the information.

Actually after looking through this a bit more .... it seems like the new position will report TO Dr. Nygaard?

Reporting to the Program Director and the Chairman of the Department of Mathematics, the Executive Director

So...There will be a program director....AND an Executive Director? What will be the difference?

This is what the executive director will be doing..

Working with program colleagues and the Advisory Board, he or she will guide the strategic direction of the program, assess and develop curriculum, and will participate in admissions and program marketing, student career development, and fundraising.

How would that be different than the Program Director?

Confusing...

From the piece:

These students normally come from China, India and other Asian countries where MFE education often involves a huge family saving or a loan where only a potential six figures salary job afterward can justify. For many of them, a dedicated placement service with a proven track record is among the most important factors when deciding a program to study.

Yep, that is correct. For the foreign students, this is not chump change. A successful MFE program has to have a strong placement service, strong industry contacts, and courses carefully tailored to what reluctant employers are willing to hire for.

“Niels Nygaard has made significant contributions as director of the Master of Science Program in Financial Mathematics since its founding in 1996. Although he is no longer serving as director, he remains a valued and important member of the mathematics faculty.”

Typical bureaucratic-speak. Decoded: "We removed him for incompetence. And indeed, we would have chucked him out altogether. But since he is a tenured member of the faculty, we cannot easily do that."

We just received a statement from Dean Robert Fefferman through the university's news director in respond to our story.

We will have an update with his statement shortly.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Dean Fefferman has posted a comment on the updated article
Seeking changes, Chicago MSFM fired founding director | Quant Network

Back