• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UC Berkeley MFE

Hey all,

I am yet to take the GRE, and I am wondering about UC Berkeley's program. Here is my situation:

Math/Econ Major GPA: just over 3.0 (nearly all UD courses)
5 years of programming experience, including 2 years with two different asset managers, and 3.5 total in finance
C++ and Microsoft Certified Developer certifications
Passed CFA lvl 2

I know my GPA (from over 5 years ago) is low, would I have a reasonable shot to get into this program with a high quant GRE score (not sure how much the verbal sections matter) ? Maybe it would be tough with even a perfect quant GRE score?

Any insight would be great, thanks guys.

It will be tough even if you get a 170 in the GRE. The GRE is a 4 hour test, your GPA is a cumulative measure over 4 years.

Just want to add, the GPA would be over 2 years since I was a transfer. I know that would probably make things worse, just saying.

I think a high quant score in GRE is far from enough since a large number of applicants get 170. I would suggest you get an edge via your professional experience.

Back