• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UC Berkeley Round 4 Admit Probability

Sky

I have a question about being accepted to UC Berkeley's MFE program during round 4. I went from a hold status to a waitlist status in round 4, and I am currently taking their pre-program courses, in hopes that they'll accept me by the time classes start. (The pre-program courses end the week of March 17th, and the school year begins March 26th.) Has anyone ever been in this situation before? If so, what is the probability of being accepted for this coming school year at this point? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I applied very late and got put straight on the waitlist. Just like you, I'm taking the pre-program courses hoping that it will "enhance my candidacy". I called to ask for information about how they select from the waitlist, if they go in chronological order, etc. but they wouldn't give me any details.

Basically I think you are just expected to wait until other people drop out and could get an acceptance up to a week before the program starts. It's a very nerve-wracking experience considering your life, job, family, etc. are in limbo until you get a final response.

Anyways, hope we both get accepted!

Totally! I can't apply for a job right now because nobody will take me on board if I'm going to leave for Berkeley soon. But, it really doesn't matter, since I'm spending about 60 hours per week doing homework for the pre-program courses. (I'm in all 3. It wouldn't be so bad, though, if we could just scan in our hand-written assignments! I'd say 3/4 of my time is simply typing everything in LaTeX.) And I totally hear you on everything else... My family is getting stressed out because I can no longer spend time with them... And apparently you have to figure out your own living situation once admitted (they don't put us up in dorms), as well as get all loans approved once admitted, which is really going to suck if they let us know one week before classes start.

I really hope our taking the pre-program courses puts us at the top of the list. Best of luck!

It's frustrating too considering the courses cost so much and it doesn't guaranteed admission. I figured that if I didn't take the courses, I had little chance of being accepted and if I didn't get accepted then they are a good prep for if I get admitted into another school. UCB is my first choice though and it is driving me crazy with the start date approaching.

It's driving me crazy, too. I had to set up a weekend for a time share I have down near Berkeley to find a place if I get accepted. My deadline to cancel the time share is approaching quickly, though, if I don't get in.

Hey guys, I think you have the chance to be accepted. From 68 available spot, I saw that still left about 10 spots.
I wish you lucky!

I have a question about being accepted to UC Berkeley's MFE program during round 4. I went from a hold status to a waitlist status in round 4, and I am currently taking their pre-program courses, in hopes that they'll accept me by the time classes start. (The pre-program courses end the week of March 17th, and the school year begins March 26th.) Has anyone ever been in this situation before? If so, what is the probability of being accepted for this coming school year at this point? Thanks.

have you read the older threads on global derivatives? it may give you an idea. the last time i read it, i did see some people who applied in round 4 get admitted after being waitlisted/hold(held).

Hey guys, I think you have the chance to be accepted. From 68 available spot, I saw that still left about 10 spots.
I wish you lucky!

mrprices, care to share your source for this info? i certainly hope it's true!

Mr. Prices, if that's the case then it is very surprising why they are not rolling out the admissions to 10 people in the waitlist. Although what you said would be a fact but that hardly means that there are 10 available spots. Some people could be lazy. :) But judging by the number of people who have enrolled for their preprogram courses the waitlist seems to be a long list unless people have some other reason to enroll for the courses.

Hi Rahul. I could be wrong, but what I said it is only bases in the number of people that I can see in facebook. Could be that some admitted student doesn't have facebook or they still not be added to the group.
I am taking the preprogram also, and you are right, there a huge number of student (I remember about 150 only in math?)... but I don't know if they enrolled to prepare their application to other programs.... who knows!
I wish you lucky and the people that are waiting for a final response...

I was rejected. Moreover, UCB didn't even notify me in time. My application status online read "Hold" until the first day of classes. I kept trying to contact them during my time in the pre-program courses (and shortly after), but nobody responded. So, on the first day of class of the actual program (a Monday, if I recall), I gave them a call again (since I knew at least somebody had to be in the office), and that is when I found out that I was rejected. They did say that they sent the notification letters out on the Friday before classes began. Wow. How do they expect the letter to get to me in time? And, moreover, I'm in the states. I know that there were a ton of international students applying as well, so I think it would take even longer to get to them!

I have a funny feeling that they didn't even really look at my application. I say this because, in their initial response to me about my Waitlist status, they suggested that I take some courses that I had already taken as an undergrad. I sent them a question about it, but they never responded.

if an acceptance notification is not received up till the day the classes start, save your time and and automatically assume your application failed. the world still goes on. if you're accepted, you will receive tons of notifications to register, financial bills, scholarships, etc regardless of a formal acceptance. approximately one month before classes start universities would have confirmed attendance of incoming students.

I am still on status On Hold, and still not receive an interview appointment. I am starting to prepare for the preprogram courses. So I guess I have no chances right?
Even though I will take the preprogram courses because I think it will streghten my application process at other programs. Thanks for your comments.

I'd say 3/4 of my time is simply typing everything in LaTeX.)

LaTeX does produce beautiful documents. I have been meaning to learn it, since it has nice integration into R via Sweve.

I currently use OpenOffice, which has a very nice, LaTex like expression package. I've been using this for over a year for my MFE homework.

Back