• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB MFE Alumni Interview

Hi! just got a notification for the UCB alumni interview. I was wondering if any of you guys have already done it. I would greatly appreciate some tips and pointers on what to study!

Hi! just got a notification for the UCB alumni interview. I was wondering if any of you guys have already done it. I would greatly appreciate some tips and pointers on what to study!

Congrats! I interviewed the 1st round. It took around 1h, including some resume questions and mainly technical questions (math, finance, computer science, statistics, machine learning, and economics, all possible!). From my own experience and some research, technical questions are very dependent on your interviewer’s background and your previous experiences. For example, my interviewer asked what programming language I am most proficient in and then asked questions about it. She also asked a macro economics question because that’s related to her daily work.

I’d suggest looking at your interviewer’s LinkedIn profile to guess some directions. For technicals, first fully understand every technical terms on your resume and make sure you can answer related questions. Green book can be a good resource if you get time.

Interviewers are very nice, and they are willing to help if you get stuck. Be confident and best of luck!

Congrats! I interviewed the 1st round. It took around 1h, including some resume questions and mainly technical questions (math, finance, computer science, statistics, machine learning, and economics, all possible!). From my own experience and some research, technical questions are very dependent on your interviewer’s background and your previous experiences. For example, my interviewer asked what programming language I am most proficient in and then asked questions about it. She also asked a macro economics question because that’s related to her daily work.

I’d suggest looking at your interviewer’s LinkedIn profile to guess some directions. For technicals, first fully understand every technical terms on your resume and make sure you can answer related questions. Green book can be a good resource if you get time.

Interviewers are very nice, and they are willing to help if you get stuck. Be confident and best of luck!

Are there any updates from their side about the application status after the interview call?

I agree with Lisa. It's highly dependent on who your interviewer is. Look up his or her Linkedin profile, and then make your best educated guess as to what type of questions he/she would like best. For example, if that person had a pure math & stats background, it'd probably be safe for you to be somewhat lax with your coding prep. But do make sure you know your basic probability and linear algebra quite well going into the interview.

Back