• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UChicago vs MIT

I mean I would find out what the internship at both schools. I mean I was very surprised with NYU courants internship rate. I know only cmu and Princeton’s rates so I can’t comment but i would do some heavy research. It would show how well a school does during hard times and as more hard times are probably ahead I would really find this important

I mean I would find out what the internship at both schools. I mean I was very surprised with NYU courants internship rate. I know only cmu and Princeton’s rates so I can’t comment but i would do some heavy research. It would show how well a school does during hard times and as more hard times are probably ahead I would really find this important

94% for UChicago, for MIT of the 46/47 who sought internships 100% got them

Then I would say that MIT is a very prestigious school but doesn’t offer to much more upside from uchicago. If uchicago is that cheap maybe I would consider it, but if MiT is a dream school then I would choose that. Ultimately my point is uchicago is the more logical choice while MIT could be a consideration if you wanna be a part of that network at a much higher price.

I believe you should consider two factors here:

1. Course content: MIT program is more Finance oriented (I believe it's MFin program) while UChicago is more mathematics and programming oriented. Your academic background should help you decide here. Obviously, your prospective career path depend on your choice here.

2. University brand vs Scholarship tradeoff: Certainly MIT has a better brand over UChicago but to me, almost full scholarship at UChicago makes it win over MIT's brand. If you don't really worry about the tuition fees, MIT is the choice

I was in the same position as you when I was choosing between Columbia MFE and Chicago MSFM with probably the same amount of scholarship as you about 2 months ago. I ended up choosing Chicago's program. I did not apply to MIT's program because I am very determined to study financial engineering and am less interested in general finance and ethics. In your case, since MIT's program has less of a focus on quantitative finance, I would say that this comparison becomes even trickier. Ultimately, you are choosing between two great programs, each with a different focus. Congratulations and Good luck!

Back