• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Uconn finance phd VS Rutgers finance phd

I got offers of phd program in finance from these two universities, Uconn and Rutgers. I am struggling in making decision. Please help me!

Rutgers I guess.. although I would like to know whether the PHD program is connected to their business school?

Look at PhD placements, faculty with whom your interest lies, funding, etc... and then compare.

If I want to work in industry after I graduate, is Rutgers easier to be accepted by NY financial industry? I am a phd in statistics now and pursuing my second phd in finance. Hartford in CT is called insurance city, is it better to go to Uconn, if I want to work in insurance industry?

Hi,Andy, it is very difficult for international student to find a job in NY financial industry under current economic situation. That is why I applied phd in finance. If let you choose, which one would you go between Uconn and Rutgers? Thank you. I have to make decision ASAP

If I want to work in industry after I graduate, is Rutgers easier to be accepted by NY financial industry? I am a phd in statistics now and pursuing my second phd in finance. Hartford in CT is called insurance city, is it better to go to Uconn, if I want to work in insurance industry?

Woh. Yeah. Go get a job with your Statistics PhD. Also, since you already have a strong quant PhD, how come you did not apply to the top 10 schools, they would have loved to have you?

I applied top 30 phd program last year, but did not get any offers. Less than 1% acceptance rate is too suck. So I tried lower level programs this year and got five offers. two of them are rutgers and Uconn. Is it easier for statistics phd to find a quant trader or analyst job in NY?

How much funding have you received from each?

You have a PhD in Stats. Why are you not getting offers. Doesn't make sense to me?

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Alumni : University of Connecticut School of Business

Rutgers Business School : Alumni of the Program

These are basically their PhD Finance placements.

Rutgers has had more industry placements. They also have Quant Finance programs. You can switch over possibly and take a masters and go work in the industry. With a PhD statistics you would have got into many other top MFE programs though.

I would still advice not to put in another 5 years into PhD just to go work in industry.

Actually, I applied five top MSF or MFE as backup this year and got two rejection from Stanford and Madison. Otherwise, it will spend probably more than $50,000 on master. I have not too much money,

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

For Uconn, stipend is 20960 per academic year. $18000 for Rugters

Actually, I applied five top MSF or MFE as backup this year and got two rejection from Stanford and Madison. Otherwise, it will spend probably more than $50,000 on master. I have not too much money,

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

For Uconn, stipend is 20960 per academic year. $18000 for Rugters

Madison is not top 5. They only take 2 students into their program. 100% placement . haha. Apply to some other MFE programs maybe. With a PhD Statistics attached to you and an american degree you should not have a problem getting a job, if you can communicate your skills efficiently to potential employers.

As others stated, I see no point of doing PhD Finance just to enter industry. Even so, Rutgers is your best option to enter industry...Not UConn.

One of my friends, graduated from MFE program of CMU in 2007, has not found a job in industry up to now. He went back to school to pursue his phd in finance at Pistt U this year. I don't know if it is a general case for new graduates in these two years.

BTW, I just have GMAT score. My GRE is expired. But most MFE programs need GRE, I don't know why.

One of my friends, graduated from MFE program of CMU in 2007, has not found a job in industry up to now. He went back to school to pursue his phd in finance at Pistt U this year. I don't know if it is a general case for new graduates in these two years.

BTW, I just have GMAT score. My GRE is expired. But most MFE programs need GRE, I don't why.

Many programs will let you use GMAT instead if you ask them for it. Berkeley uses both for convenience to students.

I wonder if I might know the minimum GMAT score for top 10 MFE or MSF program?

It seems that Uconn has better reputation, ranking #66 in tier 1 by USnews but Rutgers in tier 3, than Rutgers. The academic work placement of Uconn is better than that of Rutgers. However, the phd in finance of Uconn almost go to teaching.

BTW, I just have GMAT score. My GRE is expired. But most MFE programs need GRE, I don't why.

Is NY-WallSt. condition this bad! any comments guys ...

I just read a article about Wall St hiring again

It seems that Uconn has better reputation, ranking #66 in tier 1 by USnews but Rutgers in tier 3, than Rutgers.

Yeah, they just won the NCAA women basketball tournament so they are definitely more famous. However, I don't trust USNews rankings... or any ranking for that matter. You are own your own there.

One of my friends, graduated from MFE program of CMU in 2007, has not found a job in industry up to now. He went back to school to pursue his phd in finance at Pistt U this year.

He might not be that good.

Is NY-WallSt. condition this bad! any comments guys.

It is bad. If YOU are not that good (mid of the pack), it is worse.

Mid of the pack - do you mean school wise or student wise. Like coming out of Rutgers is not same as coming out of Columbia, but if you are mid of the pack in Rutgers will that help, or you are pretty much out of luck

Anyways, do any one of you have any salary expectations upon receiving a degree. Like Columbia stated a low figure of 65K which is really not good coming out of Colmbia. Do you guys have any info.

Back