• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ultrathin laptop from the Thinkpad family

Second that....the Thinkpads lack the sexy looks of a Mac and marketing buzz of a Dell..

I've been driving my T60 hard the last three years and I think it wants to retire soon. I'm looking at the Thinkpad T line and there are several T61, T400, T500. No Macbook or widescreen for me.

..Well said..

Strictly workhorse.

after I got the MacBook Pro, I can say I've never found anything better. If I knew, I would've switched long time ago.

Glad you found Macbook a match.
Lot of the apps I work with are Win exclusive and I grow to find the trackpoint on the Thinkpad far superior to any touchpad.
Also, my next laptop would take a lot of abuse from my kid so I don't think a Mac however sleek and beautiful, can take the beating.

I admit Macbook did enter my thought at sometime.

I really don't use windows that much anymore and when I need windows, I run it on VMWare (surprisingly enough, Windows on VMWare seems to run better than native on a windows machine).

Im also thinking about getting a new laptop and it will be the MacBookPro for sure....

Alain, do you also use BootCamp to run windows?

no, since I only use windows sporadically, I run it completely on VMware. My setup is funny because all my work is done on Linux on the VMWare as well.

I know, bought an iMac last week.

Anyone has a better offer than Doug's? Since I have the iPhone I'm willing to sell my brand new iPod touch (8g). If interested msg me.

I thought this was a fun article. It seems if you want a tough laptop, a Panasonic Toughbook is the way to go.

The Tiger-Resistant Laptop - Forbes.com

So we presented the $3,460 Toughbook to Nalin, a white tiger who lives at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, Calif. Nalin treated it like a cat toy, knocking it to the ground, gnawing on the screen and licking every inch of its surface. He must have smelled those Doritos.

Next, Liz, a 10,000-pound Asian elephant, stepped on it, stood on it, dropped it onto a concrete slab, stood on it again--balanced on three legs--and then tossed it around some more. Liz put two small cracks in the laptop's magnesium alloy lid and popped the hard drive out.

I've used the Panasonic Toughbook when I was in the army, and they are pretty good.

Well they pay $3500 to browse the internet and email under some severe conditions ;)

A few weeks ago I walked out of the office in Midtown. We have a construction site on our block. There are usually several heavy trucks staying around waiting.

A young couple came to the driver of a huge loaded truck and asked him to run over their laptop when they place it on the road. He did. They opened laptop and nothing was broken inside. So, they asked him to run over second time and he did. Again, nothing happened. Finally, they placed opened laptop on the ground and truck did the third attempt. As a result, laptop was not heavily broken, but had some damages. Happy couple went to BestBuy to replace it.

It was one of the cheap Acer laptops. And it survived heavy truck pressure. So, I guess not only ToughBook is really tough ;)

"I'm on the north pole being attacked by a polar bear. I'm sending this emergency email from my toughbook which is partially mauled by the bear. Send help asap...Oh..my..god...my hands...hfwgdfsgs"
I can see it is kind of helpful now.

how else can you satisfy your twitter followers?

Back