• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UML for quant job

Hi,

I am from purely engineering area and only used C++ and Matlab in my PhD study. Can someone tell me what's the function of UML in quant jobs? Relation with C++ or Matlab? Plan to grab a UML book to read, but can not find a book telling how UML is used for finance.

Thanks a lot.

For a quant job, UML would not be on the critical path as such..

///
I use UML as a visual guide on how to 1) design a s/w application and then 2) map it to code. It is also used for as a guide to 3) s/w maintenance.

UML is not used so much as far as I can see. In particular, steps 2 and 3 are predominant.

I trained in UML since 10 years. It was a hype but now people use class diagrams to document their work, sometimes

Compare UML to a drawing of a house *before* you buy the bricks and mortar.

So, no books imo but:

A book where is UML used to guide s/w development is the MC book by myself and Joerg Kienitz.

Here is an example. I used it this week to create a fast ADE schemes for European and American options.

UML is useful and you need to be able to see the big design picture instead of grunge code in the early stages of design.

http://www.datasimfinancial.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197

UML is a very generic concept. I don't think there is any that really apply for finance alone. If you are not familiar with UML just get hold of an ordinary UML book and it would be fine. UML is only used to model and design the software you want to write so it is more architecturally sound.

Hope this helps.

Back